Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Grant, Just reading your last post about the canola oil on the shop towel are you using this for a control for mites? Take care JJ

Canola oil is what I use in place of FGMO for mite control. I use it on shop towels and in my fogger, boltered by some essential oils.

This practice, however, has been vociferously disputed by the leading experts as falling outside the accepted conventions for FGMO. It is, however, what works for me.

FGMO is a petroleum by-product, not that there is anything wrong with that. Canola oil is a botanical oil. There have been some thoughts expressed in the ABJ by leading university personnel that the botanical oils may work better than the petroleum products.

Maybe so, maybe not. Lots of people report good success with FGMO so I say, "More power to ya!"

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Not trying to disagree, just pointing out the differences. The point of FGMO is that it doesn't go rancid and the point of the cords with emoulsion as opposed to shop towels is to maximize the return for the effort of putting them in. The cords will expose the bees over a longer period for the same work of putting them in. I'm sure the towels will work. Vegatable oil has it's appeal. The point many have tried to make is that there is plenty of research on FGMO, and not much that I know of on canola oil. Besides,isn't canola a GMO?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

No disagreement taken. All opinions are respected by this beekeeper, even the crazy ones, even MY crazy ones.

GMO? Beats me. I don't know that much about the plant genetics.

On an associated note: The May issue of the ABJ has an interesting disclaimer on page 397, the picture in the upper left hand corner of Chriss Werner. Chris also uses canola oil, and I guess like him, wants to emphasize that it works in MY operation, with MY bees (lots of ferals) and under MY conditions.

BTW, MB, congrats on 20K !

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I did a quick search on the internet, and found that this canola oil method is used by some beekeepers with added wintergreen...

is there some other sort of oil we could use? (such as olive oil or sunflower oil)

I got some natural thymol from Dr Rodruigez directly. During our conversations he told me that ApilifeVar is made from synthesized thymol. Furthermore he told me that most thymol sold in the USA is synthesized. Prior to contacting him I had ordered some on the net. I asked him if he thought what I got was natural or synthetic and told him the label said Thynol, NF. He said the NF was the indicator that is was Newly Formulated synthetic.

Then and a couple times since, he has cautioned me that sythesized thymol has not done well in European testing. Seems it primarily affects the queens, reducing their activity and in a number cases actually killing the queens.

If you contact him directly he will ship you some of the natural Spanish made thymol.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

My guess is a number of beesource members have been using "synthetic" thymol. It would be interesting to hear if they had negative results.

Does anyone know what New Zealand has been using in regard to Thymol?

Here's a link to a Cuban trial that concluded ApiLifevar was indeed effective. It did not note any queen damage that I could see.

http://www.apimondia.org/apiacta/slo...squijarosa.pdf

Here's a bunch or research archives on beekeeping. There are a wide range of topics.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/Research/archives.htm

>Does anyone know what New Zealand has been using in regard to Thymol?

The thymol crystals being used in New Zealand is NE,standing for natural equivalent as stated on the product data sheet from the importer.

[size="1"][ June 04, 2006, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Bob Russell ][/size]
    BOB

Thanks Bob, I was hoping to hear from you.

I take NE to mean synthetic?? And how is the synthetic working down under?

somebody bought me some of the thymol NF and it seems to work great.

i first tried it last fall and the white board was covered with dead mites within only five hours (my hives made it through winter just fine).

right now my hives are doing very well. last time i tried it (a couple weeks ago) i found only one mite out of nine hives (24 hr drop).

i don't see any signs of queen loss (my hives are bursting at the seams).

i've wondered what the NF meant and i'm glad someone asked.

I tested some Thymol strips with a great result. I put a strip in each hive and the bees did the rest.
    As soon as the Thymol was gone (evaporated) bees shred the strip and drop it outside. I got the strips here from a bee supplier and I found them on the website from the Vaporizer manufacturer in the US.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln

I had seen that site Ax and was intrigued. Wish that product were available here.