Thread: When to start

Well it's my 1st. spring with FGMO/thymol and I'm wondering when is the right time to start. How often? How much will I expend in a season of the 2 items and does thymol keep or dissapate either in storage or in oil?

Joel"

I'm no expert by any means, last year was my first season with FGMO, I didn't use any Thymol until recently with our weird warm winter weather.

I purchased Thymol crystals and mixed by Dr Pedro's directions. I mixed several quarts of the mixture at one time and stored them inside my (unheated) shop.

We have had several cold days this week and I saw the Thymol had re-crystalized some inside the storage jar, I'm sure the fall out is due to the cold temperatures inside my shop and it seems like Dr. Pedro wrote something about this happening.

I fogged twice a week last season using FGMO by itself, any day that its warm enough for the bees to fly I'll try to fog if I hadn't done both weekly treatments. I'll fog with FGMO/Thymol till the flow starts in the spring and I add supers. Once the supers are in place it will be back to FGMO in the fogger till the supers come off in late summer.

Hope this helps...................good luck

Hi Joel,To get the full benefit out of the Dr.s method you will need to use the cords also. I just fog right now for I dont have the time to do the cords. I would start off with some mite counts and then go from there. Pedro is still out there, write him he would be glad to here from you. Take care JJ

JJ"

I've written Dr.Perdo several emails and one snail mail without any response. Could he be in Spain?

Have you personally heard from him lately?

Hi, Yes I have, I do know his sister is very ill. And I do think he was going back to Spain shortly. Try again if no responce let me know. Take care JJ

I would use it every couple of weeks whenever it's warm enough for the bees to be flying. In other words, anytime it's been two weeks or more since the last time you fogged and the bees are flying.

If you look at my post on treating with and without brood (diseases and pests) you'll see why something "soft" like FGMO requires constantly staying on top of things. I'd actually be tempted to fog every week if it's convenient. It doesn't seem to harm the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hey Carolina-Family and Joel, Just finished e-mailing Pedro and he is home.DronebeeR@netscape.net Take care JJ

Carolina, MB thanks, sounds like you are in agreement. tha't enough for me. Idee, you still have Thymol?

sure do. PM me your address and how much you want.

BTW, did you ever get a response from Sundance?

[size="1"][ February 11, 2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: iddee ][/size]

I'll do that tonight, thanks!

Never did hear from Bruce, the concensus is he may have disconnected from the information highway for a simpler life. I hope that's what it is and he's enjoying the solitude.

Hey Joel, Have you started fogging yet? Take care JJ

Yes, asked dad to fire up the fogger and hit them once a week.

I missed your PM. It must have expired before I checked for it.

I fogged with FGMO/Thymol once a week even during honey flows. I did not get any thymol taste in the honey. Start fogging when the bees are flying above 60 degrees. Don't try to do it at a temp less than 60 degrees since the bees still may be in a cluster. Dan.
    Glad to be a part of this fourm