I have been reading here and on Dr Rodriugez site about the FGMO and the question came to mind...

Is there any plant out there that is high in oil on the flower that would leave a small coating of oil on the bees during foraging? It wouldn't take much if they got a little bit from each flower visited. Could something like this account for the fact that there seem to be pockets around that have very few mites ???

Maybe we could increase our odds by doing some plantings if such exists??

Someone really up on plant and flower biology ...
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

Hi brent.roberts-that would be a neat scenerio if it exists. I have read somewhere years ago about planting a heavy stand of "feverfew" all around the bee boxes so the bees sometimes land upon it. Never tried it yet, may try it this year. I would think that if anyone knew of something working like that it would be front page on all the bee forums!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

maybe should we look out for plants that would cover our bees with pollen instead of oil as this may have the same effect as icing sugar ?

If you put pollen out they sure roll around in it. It seems like it would dislodge the mites on the foragers.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF