Hi all and Happy New Year.

I've just joined this group and have my first question.

I was late this fall getting my varroa check done and got high enough counts in mid November that I think I needed to do something, so I put in a couple of Apistan strips. I had read elsewhere that at this late date they should stay in for the winter. They look strong otherwise.

I am not happy with this because just a few days ago I learned a nearby yard was almost wiped out and he claims the local mites have become very resistant to Apistan.

Now I am interested to know if FGMO could be used at this late date, and if yes, the best method of application .... or could I use something else.

I am just north of Toronto Ontario.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

Do you know if any further treatment is needed? In other words, have you monitored your hives using one of the various methods to do mite counts?
    Here are a few links about monitoring mites and methods of doing so. Use the search function. There is so much info here that has already been covered extensively. We new beeks really do owe so much to all those who have come before us.

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...=000269#000009
    http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...=000592#000000
    http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...=000524#000000

Thanks for the links. I've spent hours here already today. Don't think I've read 1/10 of 1% of the collected wisdom here.

I've done some counts with a tray coated with vegy oil, but that was back mid Nov when I put in the Apistan.

A few days back we had a real warm spell and many bees came out for " a cleansing flight". Well about 300 of them in two days landed in the snow and stayed there. I collected all I could find and brought them into the kitchen to check them out. After a half an hour there was a shreak from the kitchen, " they're alive". Yup, about a hundred had thawed out and came alive so I put them in one of the styrofaom nuc boxes, added a bit of 50:50 fructose. A couple days later they were all dead anyway. In the process of cleaning them out I noticed mites in the bottom of the nuc. Not an exact count but about 10 or 12 from a hundred bees. I think the Apistan applied in mid November is not doing anything much. So I'm looking for something to try so they can get a good brood going for spring. (pollen patties going in, in about 2-3 weeks.)

[size="1"][ January 01, 2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: brent.roberts ][/size]
    Brent Roberts

PS to my above post. Just yesterday I did another similar collection of bodies from those that took flight and could not get home. Only a hundred this time. This was from 2 warmer days and none came to life when brought indoors. I did note that most were small, young looking bees. There were only a half dozen or so full sized bees. Don't know it that is normal for this season, but someone my know if it's significant. The hive, 2 deeps, was very heavy and seemed well stocked. I've been feeding fructose through a top feeder whenever it gets up to the freezing mark, because that's when they seem to loosen up the cluster and go walk-about inside and some come out. The hive is very well insulated, with a upper entrance and reduced lower entrance open for venting.

[size="1"][ January 01, 2006, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: brent.roberts ][/size]
    Brent Roberts