I just learned that New Zealand has approved the use of FGMO as per Dr. R and is now running tests on Thymol use in the hive.
    Another Great Step for Mankind and his bees.

I BELIEVE
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I think that's great news. I think there will be a turnaround of thinking in the magazines, once Dr. R. presents his case. I was talking with Walt Wright, another one of my mentor's, and he said that the FGMO works. It's all about taking the telescoping hive cover off, to get ventilation through out the hive. Here in Texas, by the way, it was 81-degrees in Dallas today. I was in short sleeves most of the day. I use instead of a hive cover, a bottom board, turned upside down, that rests on top of a plastic propolis trap. The hive is resting on a rack, covered with #8 galvanized screen wire. I have 3/4-inch plywood strips on top of the wire, where the hive sits upon, so I can put a piece of metal that fits in between the strips. This keeps the fog in the hive, and ventilates through out the hive, and comes out the top.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Ronnie, just got my fogger recently and have not had time to read Dr. R's article. Could you describe how your applying it and are you using Thymol? Thanks!!

Here is exactely how I do it, I don't try to change the formua, or add any other ingriedents.

FGMO-Thymol Application Improved For Varroa Mite Control
    American Bee Journal - March, 2004

by DR. PEDRO P. RODRIGUEZ
    2133 Wolfsnare Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454
    e-mail: DronebeeR@netscape.net
    and
    C. E. HARRIS
    321 London Bridge Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454

FGMO-THYMOL FORMULA FOR CORDS AND BURGESS FOGGER
    (Do not use thymol in your formula with honey supers on)
    The purpose of the FGMO-Thymol for these formulae is to obtain a concentration of thymol no higher than 5.49% thymol for the fogger and 2.53% thymol for the emulsion soaked cords.
    Dr. R's Instructions for preparing the FGMO can be found here on the beesource site at the
    url:

http://www.beesource.com/pov/rodriguez/abjmar2004.htm

Basically the procedure for preparing the Thymol/FGMO mix (following all saftey precautions working with the thymol) is to combine the proper measurement of thymol crystals into the FGMO and *gently warm* the oil/thymol mix in a double boiler, allowing the thymol crystals to disolve into the oil.(again, Please carefully look at the procedure that Dr. R. outlines in his instructions for the heating) Once the the thymol has completely dissolved, the FGMO/Thymol mixture will be crystal clear. The crystals will stay disolved in the Mineral Oil even after it cools back to room temperature. (If the mixture gets very cold (I have never measured the exact temps, but approximately mid 30's or colder) - the Thymol will start recrystalizing in the oil and drop to the bottom of whatever container you have them the mixture in. Since they have not completely recrystalized, they precipitate out kind of like a crystal "mush" - You can re-disolve it by simply warming the mixture in even a moderately hot water bath until the mixture becomes once again crystal clear. (I've done this with the hot water that comes out of the kitchen tap in my house)

It is this fgmo/disolved thymol mixture that is then placed in the fogger and 'fogged' into the hives.

Many people simply use plain FGMO w/o thymol. As I said in an earlier post - I generally use the FGMO/Thymol twice weekly in the early spring (before I start harvesting pollen and/or honey). During the summer I use plain FGMO (no thymol) twice weekly, and back to the FGMO/Thymol in the fall. I have several times used the FGMO/Thymol mix on hives during honey flows and personally never noticed any residual "thymol taste", and none of the people I have given the comb sections (ross rounds) could taste anything funny in the honey either.

I of course am a small sized beekeeper, and generally never work more than 10-15 hives at the most - for someone with a large number of hives my personal fogging methods would probably be too time consuming and labour intensive

Now that you have a basic description of how are mixing up the FGMO, please refer to Dr. R's detailed instructions for making the mixture.
    Fogger
    1000 cc mineral oil @ 0.86 density
    (*) (860 grams (30.34 oz.))
    50 grams (1.76 oz.) thymol
    Add the weight of above
    Divide into 50 grams thymol

Thus:
    50 = 5.49 % thymol
    910 total weight

(*) 1000 cc of FGMO of 0.86 density weighs 860 grams
    Remove 100 cc FGMO from 1000 cc to dilute thymol. See instructions below.

Instructions for diluting thymol
    These instructions replace previous instructions for dilution of thymol with alcohol. Even though alcohol utilized for dilution of the thymol evaporates readily, I wish to dismiss potential offenses to millions of brothers in faith who oppose use of alcohol. The new formulae are not only more cost-effective and not offensive to non-alcohol consumers, but also easier to prepare minimizing the risk of adding a flammable agent to the formula.

Instructions for making dilution for the fogger
    Remove 100 cc FGMO from the 1000 cc intended for mixture. Place 100 cc FGMO in a mason jar. Add 50 grams thymol for fogger and 100 grams for emulsion cords, and secure cup tightly. Place a metal container filled with water (e.g. cooking ware) on a heat source. Place glass jar with the 100 cc FGMO and thymol in the water of the heating vessel. Swish/swirl jar as the water heats up until thymol dissolves completely. Solution will become slightly amber in color (normal change). The solution is now ready to add to the rest of the FGMO intended for use in the fogger or the cords.

Instructions for making FGMO-thymol emulsion
    Place 900 cc FGMO in a metal or ceramic container and place container over a heat source. Allow oil to heat. Add 1000 grams (2-1/4 pounds) beeswax and stir well until wax is totally melted. Remove container from heat source. Add 1000 grams (2-1/4 pounds honey) and stir well until it blends into wax-FGMO mixture. Add 100 cc FGMO-thymol mixture previously diluted as per instructions above. Add cords immediately and stir until they are well soaked with the solution. Pack cords in a tightly sealed container and store in a cool place. Your emulsion-soaked cords will be ready to use as soon as the emulsion cools.

Instructions for making FGMO-thymol mixture for fogger
    Add 100 cc FGMO-thymol mixture (obtained as per instructions above for diluting thymol) to 900 cc FGMO (remainder of the 1000 cc needed) and shake well. This will result in a 5.49 % FGMO-thymol solution. Fill your fogger container. You are now ready to fog. Set fogger on a level, steady surface. Turn gas valve to the left 1/4 turn. Listen for a slight hissing sound from your fogger. Light your fogger from underneath (I recommend using a butane stove lighter for this purpose). Wait. You should notice a drop or two of oil dripping from the spout of the fogger. Next, you should notice a small emission of oil mist similar to that of a lit cigarette. Next, the fogger will emit a larger puff of oil mist. The fogger is now ready for fogging. Holding the fogger parallel to the ground, point the nozzle directly at your hive entrance. DO NOT AIM THE FOGGER DOWNWARD! Place a tray or shield below the hive if you use screen-bottom boards to direct flow of mist into the hive. Pull the trigger of the fogger 3-4 times, while you count 1001, 1002, 1003, and 1004, depending on the population size of your hives. When fogging, please wear a respirator for safety reasons. Never add any other ingredient to your fogger when following this procedure. Do not use foggers that may have been used for spraying pesticides previously. Residues from the insecticide may have remained imbedded in the container. These residues would then be transferred to your FGMO-thymol solution and result in probable bee kills.

© 1999-2004 BeeSource.Com
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Thanks Ron, appreciate it.

[size="1"][ February 14, 2006, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Walts-son-in-law ][/size]

Ignore what?

Roger

Sorry, just posted a message to register this thread in my 'Topic Notifications'. I don't know of any way to get notifications without actually posting a message. If anyone else does, please PM me.

Thanks