I have just finished reading and re-reading Dr. Rodriguez's article on the use of Thymol/FGMO mix in the fogger and cords.

Now I have to figure out how and when to use it. We are not to use the Thymol formula for either fogging or cords during the times when honey supers are on the hives. This means that I cannot use Thymol here from the middle of April thru the last week of June. I can use it in July and August, but must have it off again by Sept. first and cannot return it until hard frost.

This also means that I have to pull supers promptly when the honey flow is over or omit the Thymol until I do. Further, the practice of storing supers on a strong hive appears to be over.

By the way; does anyone know if combs and honey exposed to Thymol pick up the odor as do combs exposed to moth chrystals?

It appears to me that I am going to use two treatments--Thymol when there is no flow or only a flow for stores, and non-thymol FGMO when the honeyflow is on.

It appears that in top bar hives we would have to pull the Thymol/FGMO the moment the bees started pulling comb in the section we intended to harvest.

None of this is complicated, but it does require separate, clearly identified containers of the emulsion, plus some attention to detail.

Would some of you old hands, commercial men to whom this is important, discuss these points please?
    Ox

Dear friends.
    Soooooory about my caution remark about honey supers.
    This is being disclaimed via a letter to the Editor, ABJ Magazine, Apri 2004 issue.
    I was being careful until I were to receive laboratory residue tests. Gas chromatogphy residue tests for thymol were performed in honey and bees wax (combs) from hives treated with thymol for three consecutive years and the tests results were NEGATIVE for thymol residues.
    Yes, you may use thymol with honey supers as per the laboratory residue testing.
    And, no there is no evidence of thymol aroma (smell) being left in the hive after use.
    Thymol evaporates quickly without leaving odors in the environment of the hive.
    I hope this post clarifies this subject.
    Best regards and God bless.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Doc;
    That is truly good news!!!!

Thanks; going to work on the cord trays ASAP.
    Ox