Question

When using the fogger with the FMGO and Thymol mixture are you still supposed to fog every week? I tried it for the first time this weekend using the Thymol mixture. I have never fogged at all before. I had been using Formic acid treatments. Should I fog every week using the Thymol? I do not plan to use the emulsion cord treatment. I am only going to treat using a fogger and nothing else. I bought Thymol crystals from the Wal-Mart pharmacy. They ordered it for me and it came the next day. It cost me $19 and change. I got a bottle containing 100 grams. They split it for me 50 grams and 50 grams. I followed the recipe in the March 2004 issue of the ABJ. I am a little worried because when the Thymol disolved, the mixture remained clear. Smells just like Vicks Vapor Rub. The bees could be heard buzzing loudly in the hive when I shot the fog to them. The next day I went to look at my hive and they were bringing in pollen and appeared to be very active. It may be my imagination but the bees appeared to have a sheen to them from the oil. I will say that one should be careful how close they put the tip of the fogger to the hive entrance. I put my hand a couple of inches from the tip of the fogger and it scorched/ steamed the heck out of my hand. It was windy when I fogged my bees and I had to put the tip of the fogger pretty close to the entrance so the fog/ smoke would enter the hive. I have come up with a good idea that I will use the next time I fog. I am going to use a short section of 1 inch PVC pipe to put on the tip of the fogger and direct the fog/ smoke into the hive entrance so as to not burn/ kill any bees. I am excited about using the fogger and would appreciate any advice or comments.

I'm quite certain the pvc pipe will melt. The tip of the fogger is quite hot. Some have tried a piece of copper. Personally I like to use an open SBB and fog under the hive, but in the enrances works fine too.

Dan, I've noticed that if you keep the fogger level or even tipped back a little the fog is much cooler and the bees actually seem to like it.

but do you have to fog every week?

Question

Can we get some information on how often one should fog their bees using the thymol/fgmo treatment as described in the March 2004 issue of ABJ? I know that before Dr. Rodriguez published his latest article in the ABJ it was recomended to fog the bees weekly if not using the cords. Should we still be doing this when we add thymol to the mix or is this not a good idea? Will the thymol treatments once a week by fogging adversely affect the bees? Should we switch it up and fog every week but only use thymol in the mix every other time etc..? Help!

>but do you have to fog every week?

I fogged every other week until late summer and then I tried to fog every week until it was too cold. But sometimes I didn't get every week done, but always at least every other week.

I don't use the thymol and don't intend to--at least not at this time Neither my drone larva checks nor my varroa checks are showing any varroa, so I fog once every five days until I need to change my plan.

Hello folks.
    I have been using the fogger for nine years going on ten. I have NEVER used any attachments when I fog. Furthermore, I would be very careful if you are going to confine the fog tgo a reduced space, it will Explode on you! Beware!
    Fogging once a week is ideal if you can afford to do it, and especially if you are not going to do the cords. Tia is an excellent example of what FGMO fogging can do for you.
    Thank you Tia for sharing with us. And thank all of you for sharing and for your questions.

Best regards and God bless.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Dan, are you going to share some of your info with us at the CC beekeeper's meeting next week?

By the way, I purchased a gallon of the 70 viscosity oil from the company in Texas if you were interested in trading some oil for thymol if you have more than you need.
    Or I could just purchase it from you outright if you have excess.

Maybe I am overlooking the recipe for the mixture. What is the mixture for thymol and FGMO?

By the way, (QUESTION TO ALL) I have not read the ABJ for March 2004. What is the benefit of using this mixture?

Thanks,
    Jason G