I'm just starting out trying FGMO. I see everyone uses Burgess foggers. What about those by Bernz-o-matic? They seem to operate on the same principal.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Rob

------------------
    "Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
    * -- *Mark Twain

Hello folks.
    Sorry I do not have any knowledge about these units. Does anyone else besides the writer have any knowledge?
    Best regards and God bless.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Hello All
    Web site for BERNZOMATIC www.bernzomatic.co
    Have not seen a fogger on this site.
    They do however produce a 14.1 oz (400g) cannister.Recommended cannister size for the Burgess Propane Fogger (Blue cannister).
    Bob
    New Zealand.

Check out the following, it's what got me wondering.... item # 2380986176
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=%202380986176

Thanks
    rob

robo Guest

After getting frustrated with the common problem of keeping my Burgess hot enough, I decided to try an alternative and bought one of the Bernz-o-mantic foggers off bay. The principle is the same, with the only difference being the Bernz-o-mantic uses a pressurized insecticide tank instead of the hand pump of the Burgess.

Bernz-o-mantic has a patent (#3656254) filed in 9/69, so my guess is it is the predecessor to the Burgess. I haven't actually used mine on the bees yet, but have tested in out and think it will work just as good, if not better than the Burgess.

Pros/Cons
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Bernz-o-matic is completely made out of metal. Don't know about the rest of you, but my whole burner unit on the Burgess is loose inside the plastic.
    <LI>Propane cylinder slides into the bottom of unit and is supported by the case. Unlike the Burgess where the tank hangs off the back and you always have to be careful when setting it down. Can't use the shorter/fatter camping propane tanks, only the taller/thinner ones.
    <LI>Pressurized tank lets you adjust the fog and keeps it consistent. No pumping and eliminates chances of pumping too much and getting hot oil in the hive. Continuos fog is wasteful, but if your hives are not that far apart, it shouldn't be that noticeable.
    <LI>As far as I can tell from my test trial, unit does not have to be held level like the Burgess.
    <LI>Burner guard has access for easy lighting.
    <LI>Seems to be much more balanced and easier to manipulate with the tank mounted in the unit rather than hanging off the back.[/list]
    Since Bernz-o-matic has been in the torch business for years, and is the staple in most hardware stores,hopefully I won't have the frustrating issues I had with my Burgess.

A lot of people have found that drilling out the jet where the tank attaches revives the old zip to the Burgess fogger. Mine seems to be losing energy as it gets older and that's what I intend to do.

robo Guest

Ya, I tried that and it did help some. I still can't get the screen element to get that nice glow as when it was new. Seems like if I give it more gas, I just get flames coming out the top.

Hello folks.
    Re: foggers.
    Please remember my indications for best results.
    "after lighting the fogger please let it sit and allow the muzzle to get red hot."
    I have not had trouble after I began doing this technique. Remember, foggers are simple machines and one must be patient with them to obtain maximum effectiveness.
    Best regards and God bless.
    Dr. Rodriguez