Thread: BOTTLE SIZE

Question

I was reading the instruction book prepairing to use the fogger.

It states that you should use the 14 oz bottle and not the 16 oz bottle. The 14 oz is long and narrow and the 16 oz is short and fat and will cause flare ups.

Can I use the 16's I have safely, or should I go buy the 14's?

Fumeing in the Flint Hills

>I was reading the instruction book prepairing to use the fogger.

The one with the fogger?

>It states that you should use the 14 oz bottle and not the 16 oz bottle. The 14 oz is long and narrow and the 16 oz is short and fat and will cause flare ups.

I don't know, but mine is short and fat and I've only seen one flare up and I didn't have it level at the time. I was a very efficient flame thrower.

>Can I use the 16's I have safely, or should I go buy the 14's?

I'm not having any problems as long as I don't tip it a lot.

>>I was reading the instruction book prepairing to use the fogger.

>The one with the fogger?

Yes, I should have been more specific. The instruction manual that came with the Burgess fogger. I am one of the rare ones, that actully READ the manuals before using the product...

Instructed but Curious

I didn't throw the instructions away. Do I get points for that? I admit, I did not read the destructions... er... I mean the instructions.

>I was a very efficient flame thrower.

What I am thinking is the level inside the propane bottle makes the difference. That is if you have a half empty bottle, 14oz or 16oz it probably doesn't make any difference. However if the bottle is full, that it will "spill" propane more readily with the 16oz into the burner and make a flame thrower.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Flamer

ic. I was thinking you meant the bottle of oil on the bottom. I think it may be the skinny one will be less likely to slosh liquid propane and a half empty one even less likely. I haven't had a lot of problems one way or the other. The long skinny propane bottle seems to set on the ground nicely when you set it down.

Billl, What is happening is you are getting LIQUID PROPANE into the burner when it sloshes and that is the reason for the flare ups. Use the long skinny bottles and it is less likley to happen. My 2 cents worth. Hot here today tooooooooo.

Hello folks.
    This forum is bocoming very disconcerting, gives me a very unesary feeling.
    I know that we must have talked about this subject at least two dozen times!
    Time and again, we have instructed people to maintain the fogger level to the ground to prevent flare ups.
    This is another example where it would be very useful to a lot of people, saving time and effort and preventing something that has been spoken about many times.
    PLEASE READ THE ARCHIVES!!!!!!!!
    If those that are discussing back and forth the "hazards of the fogger" would merely bother to read the archives, you would not be having this kind of discussion. You simply would not get the fogger to throw flames. It just does not happen if you keep the nozzle parallel to the ground.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Dr. Rodriguez

You are the reason I don't like to read your forum. You are arrogant, short, aloof, and disrespectful. I am turned off by your better than thou attitude and I am also getting turned off to your big "discovery".

I asked a simple question, BEFORE I tried using my fogger, about a warning issued in the INSTRUCTION MANUAL, yes I DO read.

If your time is TOO valuable to be civil, DON'T ANSWER!

If someone else would like to reassure me that I can use the 16oz tank, safely, I would like to hear it.

Thank You...

Bill

Hi BB,

I also read the instruction manual last week before my first attempt at fogging, and was concerned about the bottle size. Since I couldn't find a direct answer to this question in the archives (I searched, maybe didn't use the correct search words), and didn't want to ask the question for obvious reasons, I just went and bought the smaller bottle. I do understand from the archives that you must hold the fogger level to avoid flare ups, but was unable to divine from that information whether or not the larger bottle would work. Glad you asked the question - I am guessing that the larger diameter bottle, when full, is more likely to slosh liquid fuel into the burner EVEN WHEN HELD LEVEL.

If you try the larger bottle, please let us know how it goes. I really do want to know, and while I do try to search the archives for info, I sometimes am unable to find the answers I am looking for. And, as you know, asking a question here is like playing Russian Roullette.

------------------
    Rob Koss

I tend to agree with Bill about this forum. It is more about browbeating than free thinking.
    I believe that the biggest reason for the longer cyl. is to balance the fogger when you set it down. I have used a short cyl. from my camping lantern and had no problem other than the fogger wouldn't sit on a table without wanting to tip. After I used up that cyl. I purchased the long thin ones. Both worked fine and I don't think the "flamethrower effect" is related to the size of the cyl.

Thanks Guys! In more ways than one.

Bill

Hello folks.
    My most sincere apologies to those whom I may have offended when I suggest that they read the archives.
    You may rest assured that I will never offend anyone else on this forum.
    This is the last time ever that I will post in any shape or mattter on this forum.
    My work with FGMO continues to show great potential as an alternative treatment for honey bee parasites hence I shall continue to donate my work to beekeeping and humanity as I have in the past. I will gladly reply to those who write to my personal e-mail address.
    DronebeeR@netscape.net
    Sincerely.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Hi All
    It is more than a little perturbing to see the waste of time by some members efforts to rehash items discussed long ago . It shows arrogance and disrespect to the other members trying to gather or present pertinent information.
    The question of the bottle size is absolutely immaterial as long as the "safety gadgets" are in place to govern the pressure inherent within the tool . You can drag a 50 gallon bottle or whatever around and it still makes no difference in the function . It may be in order to utilize the brain as it is a function of survival and good practice . Or let your mouse do the walking to find answers . The forum is not for the purpose of satisfying personal egos. The comment toward Dr Rodriguez is totally unwarranted and I cannot blame him for getting upset and demanding his precious time to answer questions inherent within the forum.
    Personally I find nothing wrong reminding people to stick their nose into aready discussed items to be informed .
    Further I cannot tell anyone how many mites disappear from the scene . The important observation for me is : I do not see any mites , no colony has died from mites and no vector problems occurred either as far as I can tell.
    Oh yes , People got P off at me because I said in no uncertain terms that Menthol candies do not affect the Tracheal mites and IF then to a infitesimal degree or the stupid argument about Apistan strips should be placed flat at the entry and the other side used the next year . They got even more upset when I told them to abstain from prophylactic applications of Oxytetracycline .
    Of course I reserve anyone the right to be upset but I demand the same right for me JDF

Cool

Searching archives can be useful but not always productive for specific questions/answers. I see nothing wrong with anyone posting a question, even one that has been discussed in the past. I enjoy reading the questions since I can't always find the answers in the archives. There is no reason to get perturbed about it and appear to stomp away upset ("i'll just take my ball and go home" syndrome). We all want the same thing; a constructive exchange of information. Just because a question may have been asked before doesn't mean it is not a legitimate question to ask again. Who knows, maybe someone new on the forum has some new information to add to an old question that just happens to be asked again. Keep asking questions, keep searching the archives, and keep exchanging information.

Maybe I am a new member and don't know the ARCHIVES exist, Maybe being new I don't know that the subject has been discussed before. New Members have a LOT of questions. I know I did but try to be CIVIL about answering questions. We all had to learn sometime and I am still learning at 75. This technology age has a lot of advantages and disadvantages, one being not knowing where to look for a certain subject and none of are going to learn it all. About the time you think you get your feet on the ground the ball game changes. My thoughts.

>It is more than a little perturbing to see the waste of time by some members efforts to rehash items discussed long ago .

Perhaps you did discuss this issue long ago, I can not attest to that as I could find no evidence of it in the archives.

> It shows arrogance and disrespect to the other members trying to gather or present pertinent information.

I meant no disrespect, I mearly asked a basic question about a very specific point in the instruction manual.

>The question of the bottle size is absolutely immaterial as long as the "safety gadgets" are in place to govern the pressure inherent within the tool . You can drag a 50 gallon bottle or whatever around and it still makes no difference in the function .

If it is 'immaterial', why does the instruction manual specifically state that you should use only the 14oz bottle and do NOT use the 16oz bottle? It is obvious that you did not read the manual.

> It may be in order to utilize the brain as it is a function of survival and good practice .

I believe that it was exactly that practice that motivated me to ask that question.

> Or let your mouse do the walking to find answers .

I did try that first.

> The forum is not for the purpose of satisfying personal egos. The comment toward Dr Rodriguez is totally unwarranted and I cannot blame him for getting upset and demanding his precious time to answer questions inherent within the forum.

I, on the other hand, believe the shoe is on the other foot. I have been amazed at how many times a persons question would be unanswered with a belittleing tirade of -

Why don't you look it up in the archives!
    I have told you many, many, many times!
    I do this for the good of beekind!
    I get nothing out of doing this!
    Why do you bother me with this insignificant little question!
    I have NO mites!
    I am the saviour of all the bees!

I don't care if he likes to be, or even get puffed up about himself, however I detest that the answers were so belittling and condesending. I make lite of a lot of things, but I am not hurtful.

>Personally I find nothing wrong reminding people to stick their nose into aready discussed items to be informed .

Nor do I, to a point. If I can save someone time and educate others quickly and easily at the same time, I will just tell you. If I don't have the time to do so, I will have to pass and hope that someone else will.

>Further I cannot tell anyone how many mites disappear from the scene . The important observation for me is : I do not see any mites , no colony has died from mites and no vector problems occurred either as far as I can tell.

I am happy for you and hope everyone can enjoy your same results.

>Oh yes , People got P off at me because I said in no uncertain terms that Menthol candies do not affect the Tracheal mites and IF then to a infitesimal degree or the stupid argument about Apistan strips should be placed flat at the entry and the other side used the next year . They got even more upset when I told them to abstain from prophylactic applications of Oxytetracycline .

Ancient history that I know nothing about. However if that is a practice that works for you, I don't understand why it is a problem.

>Of course I reserve anyone the right to be upset but I demand the same right for me JDF

Life is too short to be upset about the little things. I only ask others to treat me like I would treat them. Honestly, and respectfully, I only change my position when it is not freely given back to me.

Bill

Arrow

Hi all -

For the most part, I stay out of personal conflicts (I can find enough of those other places), but I want to make it clear how I want this BB to function. People should feel free to ask whatever on-topic question they want to. The nature of the beast is such that there is a wide range of user experience within the membership. The fact is, questions get repeated over and over again. As new members come along, those familiar questions will be asked again. Yes, there are archives and the search function works pretty good I'd say.

I just did a search in the archives using the search phrase "propane bottle" and it found 5 results. Looking through this one:
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000052.html

shows this very issue came up before and it was addressed. The search function does work! However, even when a repeat question comes up, it need not be stressful for anyone (except maybe the one posting the question when no one posts a reply). If you feel it has been answered before and don't want to spend your time dealing with it again, DON'T! Let it be. It will either die with no one answering, or someone with more time on their hands will offer an answer. It's easy to do, unlike an email discussion list where everyone gets stuck with emails in their mailbox of "the same old question." Here, just ignore it.

Regards,
    Barry

Well said Barry, you are in charge. We are close to 1000 registered members now and that means that if you asked each of the same question you would probally get at least 1000 different answers, such is the human race. It seems to me that it wouldn't take any longer generally to answer the question than it does to rant and rave about the question has been answered before. It is pretty hard to transfer our ego from ourselves to the Thread being discussed because most people will just move on and form their own opinion. Nuff said.