Thread: FGMO

Hybrid View

Does any one know What percent of Varroa is killed using the FGMO and the fogger per treatment? Or are the mites just dislodged and then can re attach from the bottom board?

------------------
    Tim Schuler
    E-mail JTSchbees@aol.com

I have used FGMO now for 2 years and I find that I cannot answer your question completly. From my experience I have found that I have less problems with the mites using the cords and fogging weekly. All my hives have Screened Bottom Boards which let the mites drop thru to the ground and they can't crawl back on the bees.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Hello Mr. Bemrose.
    I would like to know your personal e-mail. I left a message for you on this forum but I never received a reply.
    I am in need of communicating with Mrs. Blanch Barber (regarding my presentation to the MI beekeepers association) but somehow I have lost her phone number.
    Could you please help me with that. I would appreciate your assistancde very much.
    Best regasrds.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Dr R and others
    my personal E-MAIL is quintb@cablespeed.com
    if you need to contact me please drop me a message and I will send an answer ASAP but please relize that I am constantly on the move checking my yards and sometimes I never see the computer for a week.
    I will see if I can find the info for you Dr R.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Hello folks.
    To Clinton:
    Thank you so much. Thanks to your information, I have already talked to the Barbers. Hope to meet you at my presentation on FGMO in your State on the 24-25 October.
    To all others regarding number of mites killed by FGMO:
    As I have written many times, mite's death is due to sofocation and loss of biologic fluids. It is a slow death! That is why it is so important to use regularity in your procedures, and if at all possible to utilize integrated beekeeping practices.
    This year I am utilizing a number of procedures to compare efficacy and report to you. As of my latest inspection, I have MITE-FREE and SHB-FREE hives with very large bee populations in Virginia Beach and in Spain.
    As I have stated previously, there is nothing secret about my work. I make known my trial results as soon as possible for the benefit of those who wish to use them on their own hives.
    Incidentally, I have never said that individual beekeepers could not make their own trials. After all, they are your bees.
    What I have tried to state clearly is, that
    I use a regular, rigid protocol for treating my bees.
    According to multiple testimonials, FGMO is working well for those who follow the procedures that I have described as being successful for me. I ask, please, do not blame FGMO failures if you for what ever reason you may have, depart from what has been established as successful procedures.
    Have a wonderful summer and successful beekeeping.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Question

Where in Mich. in Oct.??

Mr. Bemrose, thank you for your response. The reason I am asking is that I run 250 colonies for pollination and my hives are not configured with screened bottom boards. I would like to know what percent of the Varroa are killed because that will determine if FGMO will work in my set up. There is considerable cost and effort to convert the whole operation to screened bottoms.

Hi tim
    One can appreciate the problem of the expense .
    Nevertheless could convert slowly . You will find it of benefit and convenience .
    You could vonvert the present Bottom board by cutting the appropriate space and fit the screen This would be the major expense .
    Below the screen add a catch tray which serves as adjusting ventilation feature . The "catchtray can be 1/4 outdoor plywood or whatever you see fit affordable .
    A table saw would be of a tremendous asset . Nothing is set in stone here . Use whatever is available to you incl your imagination .
    JDF

Exclamation

Just a few words on SBB.

Efficiency of SBB as a mean to reduce the varroas population is NOT well established.

Available studies on SBB (closed (CSBB) and opened (OSBB)) have showed great inconsistencies. Some have not been able to establish anything, some show, let's say, between 20% to 40% efficiency. The main element of the "thesis" being that varroas with a proper SBB (including 4cm spacing for CSBB) can not climb back on the bees when they fall. A good indicator being the number of alive varroas found on the floor of a CSBB.

All this is not surprising as this is with many other items in beekeeping (including FGMO) a not so clear question. This, even if many beekeepers are converting to SBB, is more a question of feeling, faith etc... than very well established, scientifically demonstrated matter.

The main advantage of SBB is as a monitoring device. SBB with closed screened bottom board (CSBB) is probably the best non invasive monitoring device for beekeepers. Open SBB (OSBB) are useless for that purpose and doubtfull, as I mentioned in another thread, because they are probably a positive factor in many instances faforing the reproduction of varroas.

This is why, until SBB efficiency in reducing varroas is better established, there is no urgency for a commercial beekeeper to convert 1,000 hives with all the associated costs. Those beekeepers should nevertheless proceed with a certain number of conversions that would permit them to "globaly" monitor their apiary on many aspects including varroas.

This should be a top priority for sure as no one should keep going blind when there is a possibility to run the "business" with open eyes!

------------------
    Normand Choiniere
    Mont-Tremblant region, Quebec, Canada.
    http://consultus.qc.ca/valmiel