Greeting,
    We have been fogging our 1oo colonies since May 1st as consistantley as possible. Found high percentages of Varroa in one yard. Important note: these mites were found on sealed drone brood. We brought back about 30 mites in a vial and put them on a clean freshly painted outer cover and Blasted them with FGMO. After about 5 minutes they were still active. We again fogged them and went and had dinner. After about 45 minutes we returned to find them seemingly unharmed and moving about. Can anyone explain this if this fogger is supposed to suffocate them then why did they live so long? Is the fogger method only effective on adult mites? Do these young Larvae State mites if you will breath through sporacles this early or not? Can anyone explain or comment?

Hi Eric
    You made a very interesting test there . Congrats !!. Personally I have not encountered this but used the plain oil and not the fog .
    Currently I am talking with another beekeeper relating to your subject but the answer has to wait until another person gets back from a tour . Eventually we will come to a conclusion but we have to have patience to get the answer .
    Bear with me
    best wishes
    JDF

Hello Folks.
    I did make reference to my work with SHB on this forum. I said that I am composing a report that soon will be published. Sorry if I can not provide more information at this time because I do not have all the data together yet. It will soon be published, trust me.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Question

Eric: I would be interested since your last posting to know the current viability of the mites that were being tested?
    I seriously doubt that the age of the mite has anything to do with the mites ability to breathe through it's spiracles. I believe the mites are fully grown upon emergance from a cell.
    I am curious to find if Dr. R has any research on the life expectancy of a mite once treated with FGMO.
    I am not sure where Dr. R was going with his comment about SHB.

Kurt

My guess is that he meant to post that on another question. I had a response end up on a different forum once also. Don't know how it happened.

Cool

Micheal
    I posted two responses yesterday and the same happened . I do not find them .
    This is not the first time it happened .
    best wishes
    And that is not the only nuisance .
    Oftentimes it tells me that my handle is not recognised and I have to go through this speel on posting umpteen times before it gets out .

JDF

You do know that it's case sensitive?

Big Grin

yes I am aware of the case sensitive aspect .
    Shortly about the question of spiracle breathing . When adult females invade the cell , they are buried in Royal jelly with the eggs and young larva How does the breathing mechanism function ? Furthermore when the royal jelly is depleted and the bee and varroa dynamics develop within a capped cell , How much oxygen is required to keep all occupants alive ? Or is oxygen required indeed ? Is the capping hermetically sealing the cell?
    Always questions , has someone any answers?
    Happy breathing
    JDF