mmundy Guest

Question

I've got Varroa mites, as far as I can tell in my beige hive, which has my new queen, but my old Hive Bodies. It did fill two drawn supers and that's a success for this year. But now the population is down and there is a super that's been on there 3 weeks and hasn't hardly any drawn comb in it yet. I have only seen a few bees here and there with mites on their fuzzy sections. I have seen bees with mangled wings in the hive and in the grass. I'm investigating some treatments right now. I might be able to use FGMO with the honey on, or I might move the honey supers to another hive, and just treat the mites with the hard chemicals like Apistan strips and call it a season for that hive. Bummer.

My question for this Forum is, should I go buy a $60 propane fogger and some FGMO and see if I can minimize the mites in the next few weeks? Or is it too late in the season for getting my population back up the production size? I'm in Missouri and we usually extract in mid-August.

Thanks very much,

------------------
    Michael Mundy

If it was me, I'd buy the fogger, make some emolsion and monitor the drop before, right after and a while after and see how it's working. If it's not working then I'd try something else. I have not tried it but Axtman is sold on the oxalic acid and there are strips available. I think I'd have more faith in that than the Apistan.

mmundy Guest

Can I get FGMO at the grocery store or somewhere else?

Vaporizing oxalic acid is the best method killing all Varroa mites outside the brood cells during this time of the year. With 4 treatments 7 days apart you will kill at least 70 – 80% of the Varroa population.
    The rest of the mites and the newcomers (re infection) you can get in late fall during the brood free time. There is no weekly treatment necessary like FGMO during the whole year.

Yes any pharmacy will have it in the laxitive section. It will be labled Mineral Oil USP and labled for use as a laxitive.

I've never used the Oxalic acid so I can't say and I don't know if there are any long term disadvatages, but I think it's probably less toxic and more effective than Apitstan.

FGMO is an inert allowable ingredient in food, so you can use it anytime with supers on.

mmundy Guest

Exclamation

So, Axtmann is saying that I can leave my supers on while treating with vaporized Oxalic acid? Where will I find some of that stuff? Will I use a fogger like I'd need for the FGMO?

By the way, where does Axtmann live in Germany?

Thanks!

Search on Oxalic Acid and you will find Axtman's references to web pages selling the acid and the vaporizers. The vaporizer is entirely different from a fogger. Also, you will find discussion on the pros, cons, and legalities of Oxalic Acid and Formic Acid and other organic acids. I'm not recommending it nor am I saying it won't work. I would consider it before Apistan, but the FGMO is less drastic, less caustic, less dangerous and you don't have to pull the supers off of the hives.

I don't know if Axtman has said where he's from exactly, but perhaps he will respond to that.

mmundy Guest

I'm going to try FGMO. I've read about 100 posts today in all the archives about the two methods and I think this is best for now. I'll fog both the other hive as well, which sits beside the infected one.

Thanks Mike

Well, my name is Herbert Axtmann and I live in a small town on the Rhine River in Germany, 15 km from Mainz and approx 60 km from Frankfurt. I’m a beekeeper since 1975 and fighting the Varroa since we got the beast in 1977.

Here the site for mmundy for some more information about the oxalic acid treatments. http://www.mellifera.de/engl2.htm http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln

Reading the postings from beekeepers here is a little bit different the reading the test from scientists. Since beekeepers vaporizing oxalic acid there is no harm to bees or queens anymore like it was before with liquid acid or like it is when using formic acid.

mmundy Guest

Vielen Dank, Herr Axtmann-

Maybe I'll try the Oxalic Acid next time. I'd do it now, but I felt like the fogger and FGMO would be something I could buy in only a day or two so I could start treating.

I lived in Koblenz and Darmstadt for a few months each, about 15 years ago. I sure loved Germany. Which town? I might know of it! (Especially if it had a castle.) I can't think of anything more idylic than beehives along the Rhine. I sure wish I'd had the hobby back then, I might have come to visit. Of course, I'd never heard of e-mail or the internet in those days, so maybe I'd have had to find you the old-fashioned way.

Thanks for your suggestions, Mike Mundy