Thread: Mite collection

Question

Hey everyone
    It has been some time since my last posting.Since then I have established 2 hives with nucs and begun the FGMO process. My general question is " what is the best and easiest method of checking my mite situation" ? If I could do this I could report back just what effect my FGMO process has had . Good to bee back.

Mike G

PS
    Hello Brother Pedro

The standard methods are the sugar roll, the ether roll, the 24 hour drop test (no medication) and picking out some drone brood with an uncapping fork. This has been discussed elswhere.
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000807.html

> My general question is " what is the best and >>>>> easiest <<<<< method of checking my mite situation" ?

Slide a piece of heavy white paper, white cardboard, or thin plastic inside and on your bottom board. Leave on twenty-four hours and then pull it out and count your mites.

For best results, coat it with FGMO before insertion.
    Bill

I use 1/8 inch thick boards that look like masonite on one side ,smooth white coating on the other.Some kind of showerboard ,I think.Came in 4x8 foot sheets.Spray with Pam vegetable oil spray.
    You wont know if the FGMO really works unless you know approximately what your mite levels are BEFORE you start.Most nucs and packages are coming from treated hives,so the mite levels should be close to zero at the start.It would be rare for there to be any problems the first season ,unless they pick up an infestation from robbing a collapsing colony.The second year will tell the tale.Good luck with your hives.

Hello brothers!
    Just returned from a road trip to give two presentations. What a wonderful sensation to share with all of you the outstanding acceptance of FGMO on the march! The number of believers is growing! Thank you all!
    Stay cool, brothers. There are more improvements on board giving spectacular results in the field. Soon to be published.
    Brief comment: Pam is organic and will oxidize, especially during hot summer months.
    Why not use FGMO to coat your bottom board liners. It will do the same job as Pam but without the rancid smell that may develop from Pam becoming stale. Just a thought.
    My very best to you all and thank you so very much for the wonderful reception Maryland/Virginia State Associations Meeting and Indiana State Beekeepers Asslociation.
    Kudos to you all.
    Dr. Rodriguez

I wipe off the Pam the next day along with any mites.So there isnt time to go rancid.I agree with you that FGMO will work perfectly well for this purpose and cheaper too.Can be brushed onto the sticky board.

Hello brothers.
    Just another thought on bottom board traps. I use waxed paper smeared with FGMO on the traps. Count the mites. Remove the paper and store in plastic bag for disposal (do not wish to pollute the environment). I have seen similar inserts elsewhere that look good but seem to me like more work involved. What say ye, brothers?
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Wink

Thanx to everyone who responded to my question re: mite count. Will try all methods suggested.

Mike Garitta

Howdy,
    OK, so how many mites in 24 hours is a problem? in one of the bee magazines recently it was mentioned that one mite on the bottom board equals 1000 in the hive.... and somehow I think that relationship is a "little" high....( I have one mite in 24 hours without fogging, three mites 24 hours after fogging, this is a new this year hive)

http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000807.html see post June 18, 2003 11:25 AM.

There are various opinions on the numbers but I took these from reliable sources.

If you have 1 in 24 hours you don't have any significant amount of mites. 50 and I'd be worried and taking steps. 100 and I'd be despeartely trying to resolve the problem before they crash.