I purchased an electric Burgess Insect Fogger Model 960 and tested it to see if it works with mineral oil. All it would do is produce a little bit of fog but a nice long stream of hot mineral oil. I'm using HomeBest brand of heavy USP Mineral Oil. I let it heat for the three minutes that the manufacturer recommended. Also tried heating it longer. It would spit oil while it was heating. Has anyone successfully used an electric fogger made by Burgess? And if so, what is the model you are using and what brand of mineral oil? Any recommendations or information to help solve this problem would be appreciated as I would like to fog my bees and I'm not sure what to do next.

jlohr

I'm sure you've already done it but in case not, look through the entire FGMO section.
    I remember there being some concerns that the electric models do not get hot enough for the oil. I think most are recommending the propane version.

The people who tried electric were not very satisfied with them. Is HomeBest mineral oil the laxative pharmacy type? If not, then the weight of the oil could be contributing to the problem. Someone else bought the electric one and after it failed took it back and the store exchanged it for the gas one. It think it was at Home Depot, but I'm not sure.

I'm one of the ones who tried the electric fogger. It does not get as hot as the propane model. I called Burgess and they confirmed that the propone model gets warmer than the electric. I had the exact same problems as you describe with the electric model, but the propane unit works great! I am using mineral oil USP from Wal-Mart.

Stan

Hello folks.
    I have been using the Portable Propane Insect Fogger for 7 consecutive years. At the onset I compared both types of foggers and found out that the electric fogger did not heat the coil well enough to vaporize the oil. I have constantly recommended the use of the portable propane type. Here is an example of the advantage of reading the archives, you become acquainted with the established procedures befere making mistakes. And yes, do make sure that you use the right kind of oil, 0.86 density. Either Drakeol 35 or USP White Food Grade Mineral Oil. Sources of food grade mineral oil have been throughly discussed and listed on this forum previously.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Big Grin

I also had an electric fogger thad didn't do the job. I purchased a propane foffer and it works great.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Hi folks,

Many thanks to all who responded to my message post. I have bought a Burgess propane fogger at Home Depot for $55.00 and will try it as soon as the weather permits. I will take Dr Rodriguez' s advice and look thru the archives before I post another.
    All have a nice day.

JLohr