Question

Hi folks:
    Has anyone else noticed that fogging has a taming effect on your bees? Have fogged three weeks in a row now and have noticed afterwards that I can do just about anything that I want to with them. They seem to be preoccupied cleaning and grooming themselves. JUST WONDERING.
    scott

I noticed the same thing and I now use the fogger instead of smoker when I work with my bees.

Fogged for the first time today and I will
    agree that it absolutely increased the grooming behavior.

------------------
    Dave Verville
    Fremont, NH USA

Hello folks.
    Yes, definitely! I have observed this type of behavior in my research work during eight consecutive years.
    FGMO does increase gromming behavior, especially when fogging is supplemented with FGMO emulsion soaked cords.
    A word of caution: please do not attempt to substitute smoking with FGMO alone. It may not work with some of the more aggressive strains of bees and lead to confusion regarding the effect of FGMO for its intended purpose, to get rid of mites.
    Keep up the good works.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

I see this behavior too.
    One thing I also see is right after I fog some bees wrestling or fighting at the entrance. This behavior was not apparent before the fogging. The behavior stops once the fog clears in a minute or two. These are Buckfast bees that are very good natured.

Question

I have noticed that when I fog the bee at the entrance begin to act as if they are in a furious fight as well. What does this mean? It only last during the heavy "puff" of FGMO from fogger. I noticed this they other day and I experimented I let the fog clear away and then I "puffed" again and the same thing happened the bees atthe entrance appeared to fight with each other.

Howdy,
    Although I am a new beekeeper this year, I have found a couple of things when using a fogger as a smoker; 1st, it does seem like the bees are tamer, (and being a new keeper, anything making the bees tamer is just fine with me) 2nd, it is a LOT easier to use than a fire type bee smoker. Yes, Dr., I am also using the cords, and I am introducing more FGMO than your discipline calls for, however, it does not seem like I am fogging very much when checking the bees, probably less than 4 seconds total time, so I can say I am only fogging my bees twice as much as your regime calls for...which in the grand scheme of things ain't very much. Besides, any test of FGMO should include both minimum AND maximum doses of FGMO, NOT that I am volunteering, ...nor am I asking for you, Dr., to take on even more responsibilities...I do thank you for your time. Please note also, Dr., I am NOT criticizing your very great efforts, I am merely stating my own opinions.

Hello folks.
    Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
    Please note: I recommend 4-5 seconds duration fogging per hive per application, even when cords are used, especially in large colonies. Seems like somewhere, somehow the time frame became distorted.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Hi all:
    Thank you for all your replies.Has anyone fogged too much to the point of doing damage and if so how long was that?

Scott