thanks for reply doyou or have you ever tried sreened bottom boards sounds like alot of money to put out and alot of extra work when you can just hit them with fogger and cords

droneman, The main reason that most beekeepers use SSB's is for better ventilation and also the mites that drop off the bees fall through the screens and can't get back on the bees.

The way I modify my BB's is first make sure that you screw the cross boards to the side rails, then go inside the rails and leave about an inch and outline where I want to cut the section out of the BB's. Take a Skill saw with the blade set deep and free hand the cut out leaving a little at each corner, then use a hand saw to cut out the corners. Staple 1/8" hardware cloth on and you got it made. You also may want to nail or screw cleats under it to slide plywood, cardboard, or old paneling to close it up in the winter. Some leave it open all year around depending on where you live. That always makes a difference. Have fun, Dale

I like the principle of the Screened Bottom Board. I have bought a couple but have not had the chance to try them. I designed my table for my long hives so I could put one in them, but haven't made the screened bottom for them yet.

Do I think they are necessary? No. Are they a good idea? I think they are. I'll have a more definite opinion when I've had the chance to try them.

thank for both replyes sure learn alot on this forum thanks again