Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mops Mop Mops

Admin Guest

Rerouting this message to the appropriate forum. - Admin

------
    Hello Dick.
    I hear what you are saying and I take my hat off to you.
    BUT, do not hink for a moment that they don't know about FGMO. It has been around for 8 years. They all know about it but they refuse to acknowledge it because FGMO does not "provide pay checks for people who work with it." It is as simple as that. The big grants are for people who work with pesticieds.
    And let me tell another thing, reseasrchers have found that thymol works. Yes, it works but only if diluted with 50 % FGMO. AND, what they are not saying is how much, or how big an influence of the results of thymol is due to FGMO. They wont go into that because if they did they would have to admit that FGMO in fact works.
    Your idea of flooding his mail box with mail sounds good, but there is nothing to stop him from deleting!!!! I think that since he is not interested in FGMO, he will delete. The thing to do is to direct him to visit www.beesource.com.FGMO/pov/rodriguez/bb.
    Most likely he is well aware of that but hereafter he wont be able to deny that he knows about FGMO. Go for it and let him have both barrels. He deserves it.
    Believe me, there is no research center, including ARS, that does not know about FGMO. It is not of their interest to push it. They wnat to work with established money makers that will gurantee the continuance of theirmonthly pay check.
    This is a mouthful in a short essay but beekeepers have to make themselves known and speak their minds about what they want. I havew been around for a lifetime and those big wigs don't listens to me.

An added thought" I have always opposed the use of any kind of antibiotic against AFB. It just simply makes the strains resistant to it and the hives will have it for ever within. The best medicine, don't use antibiotics. Allow the bees to take of their hygiene, and they will. They always have, or else they would not be around.
    Have a wonderful day, and thanks for your trust in FGMO.
    Pedro

Cool

I forgot to mention clearly... you can use just about anything if a vet OK's it. It's a technicality in the law to cover experimental work.
    Dickm

Reply:

This is not strictly the case. A veterinarian can use drugs/substances "off-label" provided A) there is no preparation of the same substance approved for said condition in said species and B) there is reason to believe it will work in the particular clinical setting. Vets are supposed to disclose all "off-label" usage to the client and some even have wavers signed.

This allows veterinarians to use a wide variety of drugs to treat conditions where there are no approved meds in a particular species. For example: I can give a hippo Ciprofloxacin, though Cipro is clearly not labeled for hippos, nor will it ever be. I merely have to tell the hippo’s owner that this is the case, and show that I have a reasonable clinical suspicion that the drug will work and is reasonably safe. It also saves drug companies from paying huge fees to license meds in a wide variety of species (hundreds of thousands of dollars per preparation per species).

And lastly – this technicality allows vets to OK the use of FGMO to treat bees, which in my opinion is really a moot point. The stuff is OK for use in food, which should eliminate liability on the part of the beekeeper and the vet. Also, it has been shown not to contaminate honey.

I suspect that were you to ask a vet they would plead ignorance (most US vets know zilch about insects - except how to kill them) and would refuse to participate.

At some point someone (in the government) will likely need to address FGMO in a regulatory fashion (all animal treatments are to some degree), once it is accepted as a common practice, but since such regs concern food safety, (and Dr. R has done laboratory analysis to show that honey is not contaminated) I suspect it will not be a big deal. Someone might get their knickers in a twist about aerosolizing mineral oil, but at the worst they would likely simply recommend a mask for protection.

Keith

[This message has been edited by kgbenson (edited February 23, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by kgbenson (edited February 23, 2003).]

Hi dick
    You quoted Mr Feldlaum quoting that scorching hive bodies does not kill AFB. .Well I did at one time and no AFB occured thereafter . Another source of info by research persons quoting a 10 min exposure at 160 Deg C will kill the spores . Another source treats his hardware by exposing it to 300 deg F in a wax melter for an unspecified time to kill the spores . It appears then that the jury is still out on that in certain quarters .
    Naturally if one does the torching it depends on HOW one does it. Another source recommended an exposure of 1000 Deg F , which a propane torch will deliver . How long it was not said . So, here you are , take your pick . May be some day somebody gives us some valid information on that.
    Happy beeing
    JDF
    Thanks for the good post !!!!!!!

As an addendum. A beekeeper friend told me of sticking a frame of badly infected foulbrood down into the center of one of his strongest hives. They cleaned it up and were fine.
    By the way Mass. and (I think) Fla have radiation available to sterilize infected equipment. Ct makes you burn it. For a cost of 7.50 a one-story hive, a Mass facility will sterilize it for you.

Dickm

Dickm,

What/Who is Mass? How and where do you contact it/them/him/her? What radiation is used, how and where?

Thanks

jorge

Mass = the state of Massachussetts. I cannot recall the facilites name (been away for a long time) but they will irradiate hives and sterilize equiptment. Local bkeeping associations should know.

Keith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12