Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dr. Rodriguez

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Juandefuca 
#1 ·
In June or July of this year my bee club has invited Dr. Rodriguez to give a demo on the uses of FGMO. He has agreed to do this. He does not charge for these demos but does request a donation for his research and we have to pay his expenses. He travels by military when he can find a military base around close to where he is going.
My club, the Jefferson County Bee Association, is trying to find other clubs that would like to see the demos to help pay his expenses. It would not be wise for him to come to the US for only one talk.
We are located just south of ST. Louis,MO.
We would like to hear from other clubs that would like to have their own demos or if any of you are close enough to us you are invited to attend our meeting, we only request a donation for his research.
Please contact me by e-mail if you are interested.

Bigearl

[This message has been edited by Bigearl (edited January 22, 2003).]

#2 ·
Hi bee grl
It would of interest to know which Jefferson county you referring to.
There is a possibilty that one finds them in almost every State of USA.
I fully agree that Dr Rodriguez should be compensated . Every other scholar cannot do otherwise and does not .
Thanks
Have happy meetings .
JDF

#3 ·
Where did you come up with bee girl? That's not me I am Bigearl and not because of my size. I got the name because of my son , his name is also Earl and he began calling me Bigearl when he was little and it stuck.

Now back to Dr. Rodriguez's trip. I live in Festus, MO, which is just south of St. Louis.
Jefferson County borders St. Louis County.

We are planning on a Saturday meeting at one of the bee farms owned by one of our members. We will take as long as needed for the good Dr. to tell every one all he needs to know about FGMO. If we have a large group he will take aside small groups and work with them.
We are also thinking about a bar-b-que that day for all of the guests.

Hope that that answers some of you questions.
If you have more just e-mail me at bigearl@jcn.net

Bye all, bee good and bee happy.

Earl

#4 ·
Hi Earl
Now we know ! Thanks for the info .
Blame it on the kid and those not from Jefferson county .
Ok, I live just adjacent to A Fefferson county , but far away from yours . This here is in Western WA.
It is gratifyiong to know that some beeclubs have it all together , not as the one I know .
Since early 1999 I have preached the merits of SBB's . Only my Buddy accepted it as a good idea just by reason of easy maintenance and adjustable ventilation if somene feels inclined to do so. The varroa question came later when I read the Gil Fert website and an essay on a different "Board " to control Varroa .
The FGMO approach became acute for me when the Fogger was recommended in addition with the Emulsion formula . All this took root late 1999 early 2000.
Additionally I am also leaning towards the small cell idea and try to combine both methods . Result : The bees still have mites but did not lose a colony yet by mite reasons .
May I recommend to read the Research synopsium wrap up in the Jan 03 issue page 41 in "Bee culture " . For me it is a valuable source of information of the latest knowledge standing in contrast to most of the "old" beekeepers , steeped in BELIEVES rather than knowledge . After all what do so called "Old " BK know about Varroa when it only got here since the 1980 ties .
It's a long tale
Happy meeting
JDF

#5 ·
Dr. rodriguez is going to be in the US starting June 20th this year. I have been reading all of the posting on this forum and a lot of people should take advantage of this. He will speak at your meetings for only a donation and expences. I want the information on FGMO straight from the horses mouth. We are trying to set up our meeting for June 22
Also on keeping records of treating mites, why not ask the good doctor if we can use the same forms that he uses in his research.
Please contact me or Dr. Rodriguez if you would like for him to speek to your club.
Earl

#6 ·
Hello brothers in faith and trade.
Thanks brother Earl. I sincerely hope that your family's health has been totally restored.
Thanks for your assistance in passing along the intended dates of my stay in the US. This sesson promises to be a rather busy one for me and most of all pleaseant in that I will be meeting lots of you.
I also would like to be known that I will be visiting the US during the month of March to initiate my research project with Small Hive Beetles. After that I should be alternating my trips between the US and Spain where my work with Varroa and Tracheal mites contiues full speed ahead.
My present plans are variabble, but I foresee traveling to the US in March, sometime in mid May, with return to Spain approximately end of June. Most likely, I will be traveling back and forth to the US every other month. So, please do not hesitate to consult me regarding availability for presentations and most of all, please continue to write to me. I can always access my e-mail regardles of where I am located at the time.
May The Good Lord be our Infinite Counselor and grant us Peace.
Best regards.
Dr. Rodriguez

#7 ·
I have been feeding my bees using a top cover filled with sugar candy (Taffy) made by boiling sugar in an acid solution until enough water is boiled out of it to make a moderately rigid candy. These covers go onto the hives fairly quickly. And they can be attached in moderatly cold weather because you do not need to open the hive very much nor very long. Now if I added FGMO to this candy, I could deliver FGMO via this mechanism as an alternative or suppliment to the emulsion soaked ropes. I have been flavoring the candy with honey, citric acid, and beeswax. And I have experimentied with adding FGMO to the mix. But I have not found a good mixture yet. I wonder what you think of this idea and wether you have tried it already.

#8 ·
Hi Dan
I have given it a thought also but are presently involved in research about different method of the emulsion application. And so are others . The bottomline on it is not ready yet . Meantime I would not alter the recommended procedure .
Reason : The Fgmo distribution is not to my understanding a question of CONSUMPTION by the bees . Rather it applies to the hygienic tendencies of the critter by cleaning the material ( Emulsion) from the cords and hereby sort of distribute the stuff onto themselves and other items incl other bees . Insofar they consume the ingredients , i.e. Honey and wax appears to be consumption . That may be or not the case . Then you will observe the shredding of the cord and bring the particles outside the hive . All in all , it has the appearance of cleaning rather than consumption. So , I would refrain from adding FGMO to any food stuff until other research tells me otherwise .
Regards
JDF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.