Thread: One more

Question

While browsing old data I noticed something called 'WELT' cord. Is it pure cotton and who would have such a thing. There are many descriptions of the same item in the old data. Stay with me . I just want to get it right!

MIKE

Hello Mike and others.
    Welt cord is only one of a kind, although there are several sizes (thickness). They are available from upholstery distributors. I just purchased two spools of 500 yards each.
    You might want to use mop cords as substitutes, provided the cords are cotton, and perhaps at a lower cost. May not be the same but they may give you an alternative if you can not get welt cords in your neighborhood.
    You are welcome to continue asking questions. That is the whole purpose of this BB.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

You live in NC where tobacco is king. The rope that is used to bale tobacco is pure cotton and cheap to purchase. Go to any farm supply store in your area and they will have what you want.

Hello all.
    This is wonderful news.
    Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Cool

To Eman
    Thanx for the hot tip on WELT cord.Will let you know if I find tobac bailing cord.

Miike Garitta

Dr Rodriguez,

I tried contacting you by e-mail but the 2 addresses bounced (one has the account full). COuld you please tell me your active e-mail address, or write to me at golowasch@stg.rutgers.edu?

Thank you

Jorge

Hello all.
    My apologies to tyhose who write to me and have their mail returned because my box is full. The reason for this is that since my publication of my FGMO article on ABJ, I am receiving a constanty avalanche of mail to the point ythat my PC has collapsed several times. Sorry about that. Please continue to write to me. I am working on the prtoblem all the time.
    my e-mail addrtess is:
    DronebeeR@netscape.net

Regarding disagreement with FGMO findings. I have been truthfully reporting what I find during my trials, all of these strictly with a considertable chunk of personal funds. I do my work because I truly love honey bees, nature and humanity. I belice that there is a place for FGMO in beekeeping hence I keep trying to add my little "grain of sand" in prevention of the spread of bee parasites. If my research is flawed, as some seem to claim, there is nothing to stopo others from performing their own tests with FGMO, if they really wish to promote the wellbeing of beekeeping.
    In the mean time, I will not be detered. My efforts will continue in search of methods to treat bee parasites, bee mites and Small Hive Beetles being added this year.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Since some of us don't get American Bee Journal (have subscribed but haven't gotten it yet) would it be possible to post the article here on this site somewhere? Just a thought. Thought there might be others out there in the same boat that I am. THANKS PEDRO for all of your help. Dale

Posting a published article would be an infringement of copyright law. However, i can scan it and send you a copy personally via e-mail, or Dr Rodriguez can send you a copy of the paper.

Jorge

Jorge, That would be great, Click the envelope (center of the 3 items) to the right of the month and date above my post and that should bring up my E-Mail address. If that doesn't work I will send you my address. Thanks again, Dale

Lightbulb

Sorry, there's no infringement of copyright law when the work published is that of your own, in this case, Pedro Rodriguez, who has final say in these matters. Having received his final say:
    http://www.beesource.com/pov/rodriguez/abjjan2003.htm

Yes, Barry, that's what I ment to indicate when I said that Dr R could send it to Dale. On the other hand, making copies is no infringment unless they are used to make money.
    Let's see what Don Pedro has to say and I'll scan the paper.

Jorge

Hello bee loving brothers.
    I was under the impression that the article was going to be posted on this forum.
    Is it possible or not?
    I am for having the paper distributed by all possible means if it is permissible. Yes, you may copy and distribute the article as may see fit, provided that it is not ilegal.
    In the meantime I will ask ABJ if there are any objections. My intention when I wrote the article was for everyone to hear about what we have achieved with FGMO. I am elated with the response that the article has generated and hope that there will be more "listeners." FGMO may not be the greatest discovery since penicillin but it certainly provides safe, clean, non contaminating protection for honey bees.
    I have some ideas for Small Hive Beetles that I want to start working on this year provided that my wife does not divorce me for spending more of our retirement check on my ideas. Not to worry, I have a very understanding wife.
    Jorge, I was thinking that you were going to write to me at my personal e-mail address.
    DronebeeR@netscape.net
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

I do not know if I have provided a reply to the post on "we;t" cords. My apologies if I haven't. Here is my reply in case that I haven't.
    Welt cords are cords used in the uphslstering trade to facilitate closing seams in furniture upholstery and curtains. Those of you who may have a covered chair or a sofe near you, can visualize the effects of the welt cord by running your hand along side the outer edge of the seat. There is a "welt that runs from end to end. There is a "welt" cord inside that seam.
    Any cotton cord will be okay for soaking in the FGMO/honey/beeswax emulsion. The important thing is for it to be cotton so that it will abosrb the emulsion well and that it wont leave residues behind in the honey. I starte out using well cords because they have a paper inner core that the bees chew on and remove easily from the hive. I now utilize whole cotton cords,because I have found that if I remove the cords within two weeks, before the bees start to propolize them, I can re-use them time and again. The purpose of re-using the cords is right down my original idea of finding a cost effective way to treat for the mites. It even saves on time by not having to cut the cords time and again. Good luck and happy beekeeping in the upcoming season.
    Some one posted last week about using the cordage that is used for binding in the tobbaco industry. I am wondering about the possibility of the tobbaco aroma becoming inbibbed (specling?) in the cord and then remaining in the confines of the hive. Room for thought for those who try it out. I would say, go for it, provided that thetre is no tobbaco aroma left in the hive from the cords.
    I am excited about the possiblity of seeing what FGMO can do for Small Hive Beetles and continuance of FGMO on Varroa and Tracheal mites.
    Best regards to all.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Thanks Barry, That is what I needed. Maybe someone else will utilize this link too. It's great to have all this up to date INFO available, and Thanks to Dr. Rodrigious for all his labors. Dale