Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

<pesticide out so I bought a new one (at Wal-Mart... $65) and am very glad I did. Talked with a nurse in my Dr.'s office the next day and she said, "Well, all your bees are dead." She and her husband are commercial producers! She said the oil would cause the bees to suffocate. Itried to explain fogging to her but she insisted, "You have killed every hive!">
    Just in case you did not know yet : Nurses at doctors offices took a course in nursing and as a consequence are constantly overflowing with wisdom and knowledge of about everything not known to the rest of us.
    JDF

I'm thinking about trying FGMO. But I'm curious to know who has been using FGMO as their sole mite control method and for how long. What are the results, lost any colonies to mites?
    Regards,
    Patrick

Patrick
    I use FGMO since 2000 and lost no colony to mites yet . No other miticide was / is applied . No Antibiotic of any kind either . But FGMO is not an influence related to antibiotics . I cannot tell why I have no vector diseases . I just report my observations
    JDF

My observation would be that AFB EFB and Nosema are stress related diseases that are usually caused by things like mite infestations.

Remove the stress and they are seldom a problem.

Hi to all.
    A beekeeper in my research group hs been using FGMO only for the last three years. His honey yield for the 2002 season was 70 kilos per hive. Another beekeeper in this group who has been using FGMO only for the last three years netted 40 kilos per hive.
    The difference in yield is due to diffence of floral abundance where the hives are situated.
    The only hives lost were the control hives which received no treatment at all.
    This report will be published early next year.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Hello all.
    Definitely, bees do suffer from illnesses that
    flare up with stress induced by bee mite infestation. It has been proved that fungi, bacteria and viruses cause illnesses in hives heavily infested with mites. Actually, hives die from stress and secondary infections.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Hello all,
    I just started using fgmo this past year, out of seven hives i had one yield 120# and two others produce 80#. My colonies have never been so healthy. Thank you Dr. Rodriguez

Hello all.
    Way to go!
    Thank you Kinser and all of you who trust FGMO!
    FGMO when used properly has great potential for saving hives,incresed production and keeping hive products and the environment free of contaminants.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Best regards

I started this summer with both the cords and the fogging and using screened bottom boards. So far all of my hives are still OK. I have brought all of my FGMO equipment to my local beekeepers assoc. meetings and most think I'm crazy.
    I would say the proof will be this spring if my hives are in good shape.

Big Grin

Hi Eman and Everyone.Your hives will be in great shape and you will have the last laugh.I have fogged swarms twice after hiving them and while they are broodless and then installed cords and they just go for it.I am in the middle of expanding my hives and having happy bees that are mite free helps in our success.We use nothing else.I have noticed since using nothing but FGMO that the loss of queens and queens being superceeded in the same season,even after introducing a new queen is almost nil.Have you noticed this as well Dr. Pedro or anyone else that has changed from a chemical control to FGMO.So far I have not had any brood diseases either and I also put this down to FGMO as I think that if you have good strong healthy hives you also have nature on your side.We notice on our organic farm the same results as far as pests and diseases on vegetables that if you can use nature as far as possible that we do not have many problems at all.
    John

Hello John in NZ and everyone else in the rest of the world.
    Thank you John. With your last two posts to beesource.com you have given me my best X-mas present ever. Thank you so very much for your testimony.
    I have been working with FGMO and telling folks that the system works very well if only they would follow directions properly. I have tried hard to "iron out all the wrinkles ¨in the system to the point that I can now recite them with my eyes closed and see the bees hapily moving about in their hives.
    Yes, definitely, I have not lost queens, brood or bees to FGMO. On the contrary my bees are not only mite-free but also disease free. Like John, says, mite free bees will take care of their hygiene and keep a healthy environment and be disease free. I have been making emphatic remarks on this aspect of beekeeping. Remove the mites, and the bees will be stress free and disease free.
    My very best wishes to all of you and a happy holiday season.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Dr. R wrote:
    This year we used combinations of treatments:
    FGMO fog only every once a week.
    FGMO fog and emulsion cords every 2-3 weeks.
    FGMO and emulsion soaked cords every thirty days.
    All three were quite successful!

So if one had the time one might choose to only fog? My hives are <75 feet from my house and I think fogging weekly would be easier (and in many respects less time consuming) for me than using the cords as well.

Would this be a reasonable course of action based on your recent results?

thanks,

Keith

[This message has been edited by kgbenson (edited February 23, 2003).]

Hello folks.
    1. I am confused about brother Helmut's reply to someone because I am only able to access Helmut's reply but have not seen the post to which Helmut is replying. Can someone please point me to it?
    2. While we have found that emulsion cords and fogging are complementary to each other, (because it means that there is FGMO protection in the hive at all times) fogging once a week may prove to be the answer to beekeepers who have a large volume of colonies, especially if they are located close at home minimizing labor. However, please remember that nurse bees that bring bred female Varroa mites to the surface may not be exposed FMO (when using fog only) giving mites the opportunity to migrate back to brood cells to start new cycles. Also I have observed, and recorded the fact that bees that come in contact with FGMO from emulsion or FGMO spread on the top bars tend to groom themselves promptly. Using a large magnifying glass, I have observed bees not only grooming themselves after coming in contact with FGMO but also that mites seem to become disturbed, more agile?, motivating the bees to attempt to pick them off. In essence, it seems to me that the bee's hygienic behavior is stimulated by FGMO. While the practice of spending long periods of time observing bees under the influence of FGMO may not be practical for most beekeepers, this observation may be of value here, because it may provide answers to increased mite drop-off and increased activity of colonies after treatment. It may be worthwhile for others who are using FGMO to provide comments should they have observed this type of behavior.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Pedro
    I wrote to you privately . However this post of mine has not been posted yet within the post of the mopping section .
    It is in reference to Dicks quoting the speech of a resercher being "Ignorant " Of FGMO
    No Biggy . I hope I unconfused you !Sorry about that .

JDF

Hi folks.
    Thanks brother Helmut, I understand but what I am saying is that I would like to read the comments made by "the researcher ignorant about FGMO." I am just curios what the statement was like.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12