Question

HI!
    I have been watching this with interest and recieved my fogger today. Now, I was reading the instructions on this thing and it talks about not using anything other than the fog/insecticide that they send with it. Reason was something about having the right oil mixture or ratio but I am wondering how much of it was just to keep you buying their product. Doesn't matter- I don't intend to and I am rambling....
    Does the beeswax in the mixture cause any problems? Do you empty and clean it between uses?
    Also, the cotton cords- are they just placed in the hive bodies on top of the bars or hung between frames??
    Thanks!

Exclamation

Wax in the mixture? You're talking about the emulsion, not the oil for the fogger. Don't put anything in the fogger except the mineral oil.

Regards,
    Barry

I'm very glad to see that I am not the only person confused by the way this process is written.
    Now from the replies to this and other posts this is what I understand you do, and if I am wrong someone please correct me.
    You fog the hives every 15 days for 5 sec. each with pure FGMO applied through a Burgess propane insect fogger. You also apply 2 19-20 inch or 1 40inch rope,that has been soaked in the emulsion, every 15 days to the tops of the frames of every hive body and super on the hive. The emulsion is made from FGMO, honey and beeswax. The quantities in the emulsion is my confusion as I haven't converted them to ounces and don't need the quantity that is in the report.
    If you did make up the batch that is in the report will it keep? Can you store the pieces of rope in a plastic container for later use?

Smile

Thanks Guys!! I figured this out after no one answered my post. Luckily, I did not put the emulsion in the fogger. I was mixing it up and just thought that there was NO WAY this was going to work and went back and printed off the article and read VERY slowly. I am from a science back ground and used to reading papers with this type of format but still missed some key concepts! LOL!!
    I did not realize that I should be putting the cords on the supers.
    I have had that batch of emulsion made up since the day of that post and it still appears to be fine. About a month so far.
    The first time I used the fogger it scared me spitless. I thought that I had scorched all my bees for sure.
    Tana Mc

I went back and looked at the date on that first post. Two months! Guys!! I could be working on ruining my third or fourth fogger by now.....
    Tana Mc

Eman mentioned the problem having all the measurements in metric so here is a conversion.

-----
    2.1. Preparation of the emulsion

The ingredients for the emulsion are as follows: 500 mls (17 fl. oz.) food grade mineral oil, 225 grams (7.94 oz.) bees wax, 300 grams (10.58 oz.) honey, sixty 500 mm (20 in.) long by 8mm (5/16 in.) diameter cotton cords.

-----
    Thanks Robert, for being on the ball! I just changed it. - Barry

[This message has been edited by Barry (edited June 27, 2002).]

I make is 7.94 (say 8) ounces of wax.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Hi.
    Sounds good to me!
    Keep up the good works.