Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

additional sources of fgmo

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Dr. Pedro P. Rodriguez 
G
#1 ·
Hello folks.
I posted this topic last night but somehow it did not make it to the BB. My sincere apologies. As you may have noticed, I have not posted lately on the BB. It is not due to lack of subject data, but rather due to my hectic schedule.
FGMO trials continue to abound world-wide with excellent results, especially with the new home=made emulsion. I have been informed that several universities from various countries are/will conduct comparison studies with FGMO. This is a very much welcomed development since it will lend credibility to my work.
I have located another source of FGMO, and the address and phone number are listed below for those who may want to contact them.

STE OIL Inc.,
P. O. Box 1033
San Marcos, TX 78667
Phone Number: 512-396-3399

web site: www.steoil.com
purchases: sales@steoilcom
Questions: lisa@steoil.com

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case that any one may have more questions regarding FGMO.
Best regards.
Dr. Rodriguez

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Pedro
And thanks for another address for the oil . I only wish it would be closer to home. Shipping , you know .
Well it might in order to give a lousy report of my findings .
First of all , I still have no idea whether or not the fogging had an impact or not. My "control" Features are anything but "scientific". However the mite count is relatively low !!. That means , the cellsize as well as the fogging must have some had effect.( In some colonies the count is less than 10% with the alcohol test.) What I did find however is that the checking with powdered sugar to indicate a percentage is absolutely useless, when one compaires it with the Alcohol application test.The only way I can tell is an application to those colonies with a higher percentage with the standby chemicals , i. e. coumaphose , fluvalinate and formic acid.
You mentioned to me the additional application of the cord/emulsion and I have the notion that IT will show better results. I will set myself up with this next year.
Another quarrel I have is the fogger itself.The propane bottle runs quickly out of steam and one should have an adapter to a 5 Gallon supply tank.
But most annoying is this constant extinguishing of the flame. Either I received a faulty contraption or the design is ???. Maybe someone in this forum can shed some light onto this.
Tanks again for your valuable input !!
JDF

G
#3 ·
Hi Juan and fgmo followers.
I appreciate Juan's remarks sharing with us his experiences. I think that he has gone only half of the way. He will be elated when he tries the cord/emulsion application.
If those who read this posts are knowledgeable in Spanish, i would like to suggest that they visit www.geocities.com/sitio apicola or subscribe to api-lista@interlap.com.ar. The use of fgmo fogging and emulsion has really taken off in the entire souther hemisphere and in Spain. One word suffices to describe the events taking place there: amazing! I think that one of the reasons for their success has been that hey have followed my advise closely. As more beekeepers join the fgmo crowd, the mite population is bound to diminish (attrition) with less possibility of infestation, their success will be more palpable. The fgmo-snowball effect has just started and the outcome is very promissing.
It has taken me six long years of continuous trials and improvements of my technique to arrive at the most desirable form of treatment. My tests this year have revealed that the system works well and effectively. I am sure that someone will/might develop more effective forms of application to make it more acceptable to the general beekeeping population. At present, the fogger and the emulsion are the best we have. Until then: be patient and have faith.
Juan: In Spain, we are working on making some sort of gadget to fit a larger fuel deposit for the fogger so that it wont run out as fast. Hang in there, and thanks you again for sharing your experience with us.

#4 ·
Dear Dr Rodriguez
I currently have 5 hives, been treated and used strips for winter. However purchased 6 more hives from a Deceased fellow bee-keeper. Have purchased a Fogger, made some welt cords using your formula. Now need to know if the mineral oil purchased from drug store will work, or do I need to order some from your latest Information. want to use your system on these purchased 6 new hives. Thanks for any Info. Louis

------------------Later I Called The supplier at San Marcos,TX they set me straight and sending me the right mineral oil to use. looking fordward to trying your system out. thanks again Louis

[This message has been edited by Louis (edited 11-14-2000).]

#5 ·
Hi All
Now here it is about this malfunctioning fogger of Burgess.
I got finally fed up playing with this thing resulting into mediocre control during application.
After 8 months I brought it back to the hardware store from whence I bought . I received a replacement and : IT WORKS !!!!.
Now I go back to the drawing board. I cannot find my data about the emulsion formula . Anyone out there to help me out ? I would appreciate that . I don't see it in the forum
JDF

G
#6 ·
FGMO Emulsion Formula and Procedure.
Hi folks.
I had posted the formula for making the emulsion and dipping the wend cords. I guess that it might have been left out with the new arrangement of the BB. In any event, here it is.
Items needed.
A metal pot
wooden spoon.
electric, gas, kerosene, wood or other type of burner.
220 mls water
225 grms beeswax
225 grms honey
440 mls food grade mineral oil
39 inch (one meter) sections wend cord.
Procedure:
Heat water in metal pot to a boil.
Add bees wax slowly and stir to facilitate melting.Do Not attempt to melt the wax without water because the wax might catch on fire! Always melt in boiling water.
Add honey and stir
Add food grade mineral oil and stir.
Dip sections of cord (about 30 sections for this volume) into solution.
Allow solution to cool and gel.
The cords will soon be ready to be placed across the top bars of the frames. Apply two cords per hive, and on supers if colony is strong and has supers.
Best results are obtained when the treatment is repeated as follows:
Day 1: apply fgmo with fogger and place cords.*
Day 16: apply fgmo with fogger and place cords.*
Day 30: apply fgmo with fogger and place cords.*
Treatment can be performed all year as long as weather permits.
*place a screened tray lined with waxed paper coated with fgmo to trap falling mites.
Replace the tray on treatment days and count mites. A sharp decline in mite counts will be noticeable on day 30th.
Good luck.
Please remember that I will always be available to answer questions should there be any regarding this procedure or questions regarding fgmo.
Best regards.
Dr. Pedro Pablo Rodriguez

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.