Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anyone else out there an ice fisher???

This is coming up to my favorite time of
    the year for it. March and the first couple
    weeks of April are extraordinary ice fishing
    here. Nice warm days, and fat and sassy
    walleye and perch, and monster northern pike.

Just picked up a MarCum VX-3tc flasher and
    gonna hit the ice a few days.

Share your conquests.....

Talked with a guy that caught 5 northern pike
    and they weighed in at 58#, that's a swell
    average. We use tip ups with whole herring on
    quick strike rigs.

I'm sorry Bruce, I just shake my head when I see all those pickups and shanties dotted across the lake. Let's see, bundled up to the hilt, cold, sitting over a hole in the ice, cold, did I say cold? . . . teeshirt, warm, water lapping the boat, warm, loons, warm, seeing the bottom of the lake - weeds, rocks, fish, warm. I think I'll settle for the fishing I like to do, sorry. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I admit a 58 pound pike is impressive.
    Don't lose your wheels to the bottom of the lake!

- Barry
    Regards, Barry

You guys are so lucky. Down here its going to be in the mid and upper sixties for the remainder of this week. All the girls are flying like there is no tomorrow and the trees are starting to show some color. As for fishing, its closer to what Barry prefers. The water right now is crystal clear. I think I'll pull out the kayak. Ta ta...

Barry....... March days that are in the mid
    30's or low 40's sitting on 30 plus inches of
    ice in shirt sleeves feeling the power of the
    spring sun is nothing short of nirvana. Sun
    screen is a must.

Here's a site showing representitive catchs
    from Devils Lake, not me unfortunately.

http://www.perchpatrol.com/this_could_be_you.htm

You get a lot of things figures out contemplating
    the complexity of a bobber.

I did not describe the northerns well. They
    weighed a collective 58#'s. Each over 10#
    and all caught with hand lining. The lake does
    give up many northern pike in the 20 pound class
    and low 30 pound as well.

I used to ice fish all winter long when I lived in Vermont. Last couple of years have been pretty bad up that way. This year the lakes didn't even freeze until three weeks into the season and then they got 40 inches of snow in one storm and getting on and off the lakes is real hard now. Plus you can't see the flags and it is too much work keeping the drifts off of the tip-ups. I feel for all the people who put shanties out as they will have a hard time getting them back in. Can't get a truck out through that much snow and the snowmachine will not pull the shanty through it. Ahhh it is the best way too fish, plenty of food, beer, and propain and you can have one hell of a weekend. Nothing like listening to the ice popping at 1 am from inside a shanty on a cold january night.

[size="1"][ February 20, 2007, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: bluegrass ][/size]
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Bruce;
    I used to work with people like you

IF I was to go fishing it would BEE with Barry or in the same kind of weather [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I've heard that everything about icefishermen is blue...
    The ice is blue, their fingers are blue, their lips are blue, shucks, after a few hours on the cold ice even their language is blue....

There were some nice fish in those pics, but for every big one it looked like there were 2 babies.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Longing for the sound of water gently lapping against the hull....
    Rick

all this talk is making me want to break out my poles it is 89 here right now gulf temp near 60 sounds about right.

"Longing for the sound of water gently lapping against the hull...."

Don't get me wrong, I love summer days in my
    boats. Like em' all. Making the best with
    what there is I guess. Too many folks hole
    up in the winter.

Bruce
    Before I moved to Wisconsin from California I thought those people who would go out and fish throught the ice were nuts. When I met and married John and found out he loved to ice fish I changed my opinion. Now I KNOW they're nuts, lol.
    Sheri

[size="1"][ February 20, 2007, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: JohnK and Sheri ][/size]

{all this talk is making me want to break out my poles it is 89}

George, as an experiance ice fishermen I would strongly urge to stay off the ice at those temps!

Ice fishing, winter camping, snowshoing, fact is were pretty much all looking for excuses to be outside because because we are really folks who 200 hundred years ago would have been mountain men!

{Nothing like listening to the ice popping at 1 am from inside a shanty on a cold january night.}

very true, with maybe the exception of taking cover under a 300 yr old white pine during a thunder storm near a mountain lake, Coming accross a group of deer drinking at a stream pool in a valley below, watching the clouds roll over a glacial mountain pass looking down on 100 ft tall seas of pines blowing like waves in the wind...

The moments we live for- too few in life!

Sounds great, Bruce! Crazy, yes, but great. I suppose once you learn to stay warm it isn't any worse than being sunburnt, mosquito-bit, and wind-chapped out on the Gulf.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

Fished the Gulf out of Padre Island and I'll
    take a March day on the ice over a midsummer
    scorcher any day. I lived in Flour Bluff for
    a couple years.

On chilly days we've got the ice house with
    a heater... no reason to suffer.

<Joel>
    taking cover under a 300 yr old white pine during a thunder storm
    Kewl! Joel is into extreme sports. Gotta love that adrenaline rush.
    JohnF INTP

No one ever seems to understand it, and most think ice fishermen are nuts! But there is no other place in the world I would rather be. Its the one thing I miss about the North East. I have has season where we would not catch anything for weeks and we would still be out there drilling holes and setting tip-ups. (at least until the beer ran out) Its really a community like this forum is. Everybody seems to end up with their shanties in the same general area on the lake and when the fishing gets bad... the cards come out. Then the Fish Biologist comes across the lake on the states sled and pops his head in to see if anybody caught anything.... so we deal him a hand too I have introduced several "Flatlanders" to the sport and all of them are still up there... drilling holes and playing cards.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I've been ice fishing. It was cold.

Actually, as a teenager, we used to build a big bonfire on shore and set out lines with tip-ups (which were illegal at the time, but it was a little local lake and no one ever said anything). We'd also shovel a hockey rink. We'd even shovel a little path from hole to hole so you didn't have to take your skates off if you got a fish. We never caught a lot of fish, but we sure had a good time.

Hmmm. I wonder if I could find my old skates.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

All I ever got ice fishing was cold, and drunk. I don't drink any more, but in my younger days I sure did. Occasionally we would catch fish but it really seemed like a lot of work. A few of us did participate in a tourney once, we dragged a canoe out on the ice, put on life preservers, sat in the canoe and cast plugs out on the ice. We were of course, very drunk.

Now they don't recommend you eat the fish you catch because of heavy metals- mercury mostly. Wassup with that?

Today is a perfect day for ice fishing if you're into that kind of thing. As I sit here at my computer I can see a half dozen parties out on Clary lake. It's sunny, about 30 degrees, and calm. I've been out on the deck in my bathrobe drinking coffee this morning, and contemplating spring. Ice fishing? I don't think so!

When I was a kid, I was a fishing fool, and why not! Growing up on a lake in Maine, summers were meant for one thing: fishing. My favorite kind of fishing these days is either brook fishing for trout, or fly fishing for large and small mouth bass out on the lake. Hooking into a 3-4 pound largemouth on a fly rod is pretty exciting. Once in a while you even manage to land one but I'd say I lose more flies than I land fish.
    Dulcius ex asperis

I hear you George! I was a Mississippi river kid (WI) and sure miss ice fishing, open water fishing, panfishing. I can't even speculate about the miles I put on an old 10-speed with a rod bungeed to the frame like a lance and a 5-gallon pail with a seat-lid on the back rack . Or the hours in a shanty listening to AM radio staring down a hole in the ice.

One nice thing about having moved west though was when I got my first license and asked about the mercury restrictions, the guy said "Where'd you move here from? Don't have that here." Now we're starting to, but high country trout are in the clear. The streams ruined by mines don't support fish so no worries! I'm still learning the flyrod. It seems weird to have an easier time on the streams than I do bass or panfishing... the trouties'll snatch a reasonably-presented fly on the way by, but a crafty ole lake fish has all kinds of time and clear, smooth water to look for that monofilament. Still, a day spent easing around in a bellyboat racks up the mental health points like nothing else!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Your killing me Ice fishing is something we get to do about twice every 5 to 6 years in south central Kansas.
    i love it when I can go but unfortunalty we just dont have the cold to do it here like you guys do. when the ice is on it is nothing to go and catch 100 or more white bass thru the ice. let me see ice sled yep auger yep ultra light yep slab spoons yep ice cleats yep ice OOOPS I guess we cant have it all on the plains catch one for us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast