Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Hello, Anyone ever seen the video "The Illusionist"?. The video shows a heart-shaped locket that I would like to try my hand at. I am wondering where I could find plans for it.

Locket
    Happiness comes from within

I have dial-up and therefore have to wait a long time for video clips, if they come through at all. Do you know of any still shots of the locket? What is it that captured your attention?
    So many weeds.......so little time.

The interesting thing about the locket is that it can only be opened in one way. It seems that there are two swivels acting together; however, upon closer examination, it seems that the locket is possible "two" lockets. I'm not 100% convinced that it's possible to make this, but you'll have to see the video.
    You're input is appreciated.

Ohhh, now I see what you are talking about. I'll have to think about this one for a little while and see if I can think it through. If I can't, I'll see if I can come up with someone who can. I'll post later if anything comes to mind.

Wow, been pondering this for days now. It looks to me like there has to be two pins in the locket. One in the center running perpendicular to the cut when in the rectangular shape position, and one at the bottom of the right side when in the heart position that runs perpendicular to the flat plane. Does this make any sense? The cuts would have to be so fine and perfect that it would take the finest wood-working tools and skills. I'll be interested to know if you try your hand at it. Please keep me posted.

I haven't thought about the design enough to comment on whether this is possible or not but the locket in the clip does not work this way. The picture in the locket does not have a seam where the seam in the locket must be.
    JohnF INTP

JohnF, which seam are you referring to, the diagonal that would divide the locket when in the rectangular position, or the seam down the middle when it is in the heart position? I think I can see what you are talking about, but I'm not sure. IF it's possible to make the locket to work as shown in the clip, I don't think the video clip shows the same piece when the top of the heart piece slides. It almost looks to me like they used two different lockets in making the clip. It may be possible, but wouldn't look or work as perfectly as shown. At least that's what I'm thinking.

I've been thinking about this, too. I paused the video where they had the plans out, and it doesn't look to me to be possible. I'm no expert, I'm just looking at the two planes where the pieces would be rotated, and I see the pinned parts being opposing each other. I could very well be wrong. Maybe there is some other way of hinging it. If you find out, let us know.

Wathcing as they pivot the straight block in order to make the "heart-shaped" locket, there is obviously a joint running down the center of the heart. Looking at the locket where she's opening it to reveal the photo, the top cover appears to be solid. Just looking at the video that is shown here, I see two different devices. Not one. so this doesn't make me think that this is a single real device.

Going beyond what I saw in this clip, I'm also reminded about those "when illusionists talk" tv specials where they reveal that many of their huge sidewalk tricks as shown on tv are in fact edited for the sake of the illusion. In a number of them, the illusionist does a simple sidewalk trick to record the audience's reaction, then later dresses up staff in similar clothes and shoots them at an angle so their true identity is hidden. then they cope the sound and video so that it appears he's floating feet above the ground in what appearst to be an impromtu performance.

illusions are just that. that said, I DO love puzzle boxes and would love some blue-prints too
    WayaCoyote

IIRC the "Illusionist" was produced using only period technology for the illusions. If that claim is correct, one should be able to duplicate the locket.
    GeeB
    Life must be lived forward but understood backwards.

<dragonfly>
    JohnF, which seam are you referring to, the diagonal that would divide the locket when in the rectangular position, or the seam down the middle when it is in the heart position?
    Isn't that the same seam? Anyway, the seam down the middle that bisects the heart into two lobes. The picture in the locket would also need this seam or else it could never have been in the rectangle form.

I believe that a design that could make a locket act like this would have two voids, one in each lobe.

The first scene gives us the blueprints.

Ok, I could make anything out of them either.
    JohnF INTP

JohnF, that's what I thought you were talking about, but it looks to me like the seam is there, but that the fit is so perfect you can barely see it. That's why I asked.

It's an illusion. But here's a discussion being carried on by some folks anyway....

http://11011110.livejournal.com/79586.html
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Dang, Coyote, you busted my bubble. I've been trying to come up with a way to make this for a week, lol.

I meant that the picture that is in the locket has no seam. It crosses the lobes of the heart.
    JohnF INTP

Well, I just finished watching "The Illusionist." Wonderful movie.

No advise on the heart dragonfly?

Well, I think it's *possible* to make, but I would have to sit down and play with it to see for sure. The problem would come in when you try to slide the top when in the heart position. I can't see how to stable the halves on the flat plane. I'm still brainstorming [img]smile.gif[/img] or maybe it's just a small rainshower.