Thread: Matresses?

Question

Okay, we have to replace our worn-out air matteress with a new one. It won't be another air mattress - I didn't care for how it held up.

We're down to two choices - one of those Temurpedic "memory foam" mattresses or a traditional, high-end spring mattress. One costs three times the price of the other but may last twice as long and doesn't "bounce" (a good thing in my wife's opinion).

The problem I'm having is that I can find all kinds of opinions about the spring mattress we're looking at but we're having a difficult time with finding anyone who has had one of the foam mattresses for any length of time.

Anybody out there had experiences with the foam stuff they can share? How long have they had it? Good things, bad things?

Thanks!

Stearns and Foster. Regularly around $12,000, half off.

http://www.us-mattress.com/meadowbrook-hall-upept.html
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Don't go the memory foam route. The reason you can't find anyone that has had one for a long time is because there isn't anyone. The memory foam breaks down in 2 to 4 years.

I have made my living selling mattress making machinery for over 20 years, so I am just a little aware of what goes into them.

http://www.caudlesew.com/

Stearns&Foster is a division of Sealy Mattress Co., the largest mattress maker in the world. Good quality, but not the only good quality mattress out there.

If you want cheap and quality, PM me and I will give you the address of a couple of Amish factories in Ohio. You can go visit them and have what you want made the way you want it.

Thanks coyote & iddee. FWIW, we've already settled on a traditional spring mattress from a local company who uses Amish-built components (Original Mattress Factory) as one of our final two.

The Tempurpedic mattress is the other one - and that's where I'm trying to get some sort of comfort level.

iddee,
    I see a longarm quilting machine on your webpage. Are those the same kind that quilters use?
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

This is what the quilters use.
    When a thread breaks, the long arm is used to replace the one line of stitching where the threadbreak was.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...scanada003.jpg

DCH, the Original Mattress Factory is a good quality company that is growing in leaps and bounds. They now have 2 factories here in NC, along with their 3 or 4 in Ohio and a few other states. Good people to deal with.

Six months ago I bought a Simmons Beauty Rest Exceptional with the pillow top comfort, it was king size and cost $2399 with the box springs. It was the best money I have ever spent.

I've been very pleased with Verlo.

http://www.verlo.com/
    Regards, Barry

My next one will be a Tempurpedic. I currently have a Posturepedic with the pillow top. It's okay, but not overly impressive. A doctor I used to work with has a Tempurpedic and has nothing but great reviews for it.
    So many weeds.......so little time.