Well, here it is January and my Microsoft Money bookeeping system is a nightmare on Elm St. I would consider it merciful at this stage of the game to have Freddys' cold steal knives slash me out of business! Yes some of it is my own doing but much is it seem so complicated. I've looked at the new quickbooks (179 bucks-Yikes!) and it looks tempting but I orginally came to Money after quickbooks crashed in 1998 and Money somehow manged to collect and save the files. I'm running 2005, anyone got teh 2007 upgrade??

Anyone using any business software out there that really makes makes them MOO and doesn't cost an arm and leg! I'll need payroll functions this year as well as the normal ledger, tax crossover type stuff.

My wife uses PeachTree and likes it but I don't know the cost of it.

I've been running QuickBooks Pro since 1999
    and like it alot. But I have very limited
    experience with anything else.

This one, and it's predecessors has done a fine job for me for the last 21 years. Even with secretary turnover, we have been able to keep records currant and train new employees to use it quite easily. It is not cheap, but it can be bought in modules, so you don't buy a lot of stuff you don't need.

http://developer.novell.com/yes/44444.htm

I'm not a fan of any software brought to us by the company that brought us the talking paper clip... If I was going to go buy something, I'd probably look closely at Quickbooks.

What you're using and what you're used to is probably better than anything else. I used to use One Write Plus when I was in the surveying business 12 years ago. Took some getting used to. I think they all do.
    Dulcius ex asperis

I've used Quickbooks Pro for about 5 years. My accountant uses it so it's nice having the same program. I don't use it to its fullest. Haven't had any problems with it. Not sure if that's credited to the application or the Mac platform. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Barry
    Regards, Barry

"I'm not a fan of any software brought to us by the company that brought us the talking paper clip..."

That ain't the half of it. MS bought up some of the really nice accounting software companies like Great Plains and Solomon, then set a "drop dead" date for existing users. You either migrated up to their new, improved, and much more expensive product or got dropped from support. These were accounting packages that ran in the $6k-$12k range. Last I checked I couldn't even figure out what the equivalent system from MS would cost as the descriptions and modules made little sense to me.

For a lot of small businesses, a manual system of journals and a general ledger works fine. 'Course, you have to know a debit from a credit in order to make it work.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I also like and use Quickbooks Pro. The best place to buy them is on Ebay.
    ;) Good Day Craig W.<br /><a href=\"http://www.weaversproduce.mysite.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.weaversproduce.mysite.com</a>

I use Quick Books and am still learning new things that it does. I started in 1999 and it takes some learning but is much faster than paper.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964