I know there are racier topics--but I've been asked by a friend to mend a drum that has become brittle and cracked in the dry heat of the desert. It is a two sided rectangular drum with beads and such inside - sounds like rain when tilted.
    Problem is--the online sources for drum skins seem to limit what's available to rounds. I'll have to way oversize it to cover the corners.
    Any links to supply houses appreciated. Or is there a beek who'd possibly have two skins to sell. Size is approximately 30X32" I think goat is pretty much stock and trade for drums.
    BBZZZZZ

Goat is not very durable. I like cowhide or elkhide better. Kips work well. Whatever they are, the leather makes a nice drum head.

http://www.halfordhide.com/catalogue...6Catalogue.pdf
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thnx Michael--the whole world is listed in that catalog.
    BBZZZZZ

The favorite skins for banjo making was cat skin. When a banjo maker moved into the area the cats disappeared.
    Do not know about skins for drums.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I bought some cheap deer skins from a processesor once. seems like deer would make a nice sound. He had a good amount of cow skins too. $20? for a whole cowhide. and I think $7 for a deer.

I don't know much about that kind of drum, but my natural skin drum (goat) was very sensitive to the humidity. I've since changed it to synthetic. Maybe the desert isn't the best blace for the natural skins.

Hi all

I built an African drum for my son and got the skin from this guy:

http://www.goatskins.com/

I built it about 6 years ago and it is still fine. Actually it is really cool.

You soak the skin then you have to shave it!

THere is lots of info out there. It was a lot of fun.

hope this helps. I don't get over here to the Tailgater very often so feel free to PM me.

Or is there a beek who'd possibly have two skins to sell
    Phew,
    At least you didn't ask for four.

FYI, the rawhide prices in that halfordhide.com catalog are ridiculous. at $65 for a goat skin you might as well buy a whole goat and fill your freezer!