I've been thinking diesel for about 2 yrs for our NYC trips and the trips south. My diesel Mechanic friend said find an International diesel. Finally found and Bought a 1993 Ford F350, had a body off rebuild in 1998 including a remanufactured engine (1993 7.3 ford factory reubilt Davis Turbo Diesel) crew cab, long box, 4 wheel drive dually, everything rebuilt except the front transaxle. 69,000 on the rebuild. Took me some time to warm up to diesel (if my gas truck made this noise I'd be waiting for the piston to come through the head) but 3 trips to NYC and the fall bee trip made me fall in love. I can't beleive I get better gas milage than my 1/2 ton 5.7.
I want to produce my own biodiesel. Have the basic concepts down and have been looking at processing kits. (I want to buy something I can put together easily and run). I know some of you are doing this already.
1) Should I be doing a couple of kitchen batches before spending the $2,000 it looks like the kit I need costs? Can I get a decent outfit for this price?
2) Can I really produce fuel for under $1.00/ gallon.
3) Is all the hype about improved perforamance and extended engine life accurate?
4) Is anybody running a system and what did you buy? How do you like your system?
5) The systems I see are using a water heater for part of the process and a plastic tank for the washer? How are you delivering your fuel to your vehicle.
6) Can I run biodiesel in some percentage in the Cold NY winteres without too much problem?
7) What kind of building to I need to house the system in?
[size="1"][ December 31, 2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]