Anyone have some good recipes for sausage,
    brats, polish, etc?????

I am going to try to dry cure a venison
    hind. Any pointers or cure recipes??

Thanks

No better Jerky than this....

Use one venison backstrap. Place in freezer until semi-frozen, for ease of slicing. Slice in layers 1/8 to 3/8 inch thick. Thicker means more drying time.

Make sauce with:
    1 cup soy sauce 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cup worcestershire 1 teaspoon onion salt
    4 tablespoon ketchup 2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon red pepper (more for hotter jerky) 4 tablespoon honey

Marinate meat in sauce for at least 1 hour, overnight is better. Place on trays, do not stack, or overlap. Turn meat over at least once while drying. Dry at 145 degrees for 8
    to 10 hours, or until desired dryness.

Thanks Iddee!! I will give that one a go.

The American Indian version of jerky is pretty simple. Tear it into strips (hence "Jerky") and dry it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I admit it could use a bit of salt and pepper...

Pemmican (Wasna) is pretty good too. Dry the meat and pound it into shreds (papa). Pound some chokecherries and plums, pits and all into a pulp and dry it somewhat into a thick paste. Mix it with the pounded meat, roll it into balls and coat it in buffalo tallow. Tallow is rendered fat. The balls will keep pretty well until spring and will hold off the scurvy until then. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You do have to adjust your chewing to handle the pieces of pits though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You could also try www.barbecuebible.com it is a bbq forum like this one and someone on there probably has recipes you would like.

Iddee, I can't believe you would waste a backstrap on jerky (wink). To me, jerky is what all the scraps should get used for. This is not a jerky recipe, but is a great way to prepare backstrap. Cut the backstrap (across the grain) into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch sections. Take three pieces and stand them on end, bunching them together like a fillet mignon. Wrap the "fillet" with a slice of bacon and use skewers or long toothpicks to secure the fillets well. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and grill or cook under the broiler like a medium steak. If broiling, I cook for 7-9 minutes on each side, and leave it rosy red in the center.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

I do the same, DF, but 28 backstraps last year, don't know how many this year. That's just too many fillets for one family. No, I don't use scrap for jerky, I use the very best cuts. That's why I started the post with "No better Jerky than this".
    Try it, you will agree.

28 backstraps???????? Yikes!!! Thats 14
    deer iddee.....

You're right, Sundance....I gave the other 3 away whole.. This year, 5 so far, and I didn't even want any. I still have 2 freezers full from last year.

For those who Think I'm the biggest poacher on the east coast, I don't hunt....They are all given to me. Got a 3 point buck tonight, packed in ice, ready to wrap and freeze. Free groceries...I love it...

hey iddee, my buddy, my pal, my friend,

Come on up and I'll give you all you want, spacemoose.
    Just give me a few days notice so I can let the hunters know I want them.