Question

Help....... stranded in Minnesota.

I was driving along and noticed a hesitation/sputter at 50 mph and then if smoothed out right away. Then 10 minutes later I came up to a stop light and it died and would not start.

There is fuel...... The fuel pump relay felt warm....

Any ideas?? Any simular experiences with this in Chevy trucks??

1997 CK 2500
    5.7 Vortec V-8
    Automatic

Could be water in the gas (some stations at this price will runs some down the big tank with a hose). Sometimes a can or two of heet and a lot of turning the starter will dry it up, if there's not too much.

Could be vapor locked. This usually happens on a very hot day. If it's vapor locked it will start after it cools off.

With all these silly electronics, there are probably a lot of other things it could be as well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

unhook the fuel line at the filter and turn it over to see if it is getting fuel before and after the filter would be the first spot to check if the relay and pump are good then you will know it might be a filter plugged

Thanks....... had it towed. I'll give your suggestions a try. We had to push it trough a busy intersection.

I know what you mean MB.... there a loads of sensors and relays in just the fuel system.

I had the ignition switch burn out on the particular connection for the fuel pump once. Turns out there's a test wire by the battery. I ended up rigging a 20 amp fuse and a switch to plug into the test wire at one end the the battery at the other so I could drive it to the mechanic, who, at the time though it was a relay. Turned out to be the ignition switch.

Of course it could also be the fuel pump burned out or the relay for the fuel pump or the pressure sensor for the fuel pump...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have read that these vintage of Chevy's had ignition switch issues........ I'll have them check that out.

smells like fuel filter... do tells us how it all works out.

my understanding via my best bud the mechanic was that the vortex series had lots of issues.....

Bruce, If you have not found the problem yet,

Bad fuel pump for sure. I'd bet $$ on it. I've replaced two on my 96 1500 CK vortec The pump is in the tank, and a real pain to change. Just check with the parts place. I bet they have 5 on the shelf.
    Todd Zeiner

Get a Toyota--end of problems!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Just got rid of one of my Toyotas...... wonderful trucks but I need a big work horse.

I'm guessing fuel pump as well. I will know soon when the mechanic calls.

It was indeed a fuel pump. $265 (installed) later she runs like a top. I can't complain I guess as I bought the truck for a great price and it has been very good so far.

Gonna pick up another pump to have on hand as I have a 96' Chev 3/4 ton too.