Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Grasses are driving me crazy in my strawberries and raspberries. I just do not have the time to weed the rascals.

Are there any herbicides you folks have tried??? Or any other solutions..... tried mulching with mowed grass with marginal results.

DEEP mulch on the raspberries, then ignore whatever grass that gets through, the berries won't care

Strawberries, I would just tear out the bed whenever the grass gets too bad. I alternate between strawberries and veggies to clean up the perennial weeds.

I also used to apply Roundup to the individual blades of quack grass with a small sponge. Effective, but TEDIOUS.

Hi Sundance,
    Poast,Fusilade and Prism are herbicides for grass control in strawberries, and only Poast is labeled for strawberries that are bearing.

If you have weeds the best weed control for small areas of strawberries, is hand weeding and mulching between the rows.

As always read up on the herbicides I listed and pick the one that suits you but if I had to recommend one it would be Poast.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Planning your beds or gardens the season prior, using heavy much (especially when combined with solarization) will all but eliminate any cuprit weeds. Keeping it well mulched throughout the year will continue to boost the produce while deminishing the labor.

Think of the name... STRAW-berry.

Last year a friend hacked a garden in to his yard and mulched with grass clippings over newspaper or cardboard around his plants. It was terribly hard work to chop the sod. this year he replanted his garden with a spoon, he told me... the soil was so soft and light. Oh, and no weeds.

Check out the book "The Lazagia Garden" for reference on how to use varied layers of materials for mulching. Do what you have to this year and what you can for next year. And remember 2 inches of mulch looks nice... but that's about all it does.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

I know it sounds so commercial..... plant them on black plastic. don't really know about now, but at least it did work on strawberries 30+ years ago.

Strawberry farms came before herbicides.

Geese, Geese, more Geese. There will not be a blade of grass left.

Oh, I forgot. A Goose will not touch a strawberry plant or berry.

[size="1"][ May 29, 2006, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: iddee ][/size]

I hand-weed our strawberries, but we ony have about a 16 foot row. I'm new to strawberries and I think mine are too thick - getting tons of medium size berries. I should probably thin both the plants and berries.

I hand weed the raspberries and blackberries in the spring, and put on a thin layer of mulch as early as I can. Once the suckering raspberry suckers come through, I put on more mulch.

Couple years ago I put on too much mulch too early and smothered a bunch of Heritage and Autumn Gold suckers before realizing my mistake

I've used round-up on a calm day with a piece of cardboard held in place as backing when spraying.
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

You need to get a narrow leaf herbacide for you grass problem. Like post or something else and will need a licence to buy it.
    If your gettin stung your doing something wrong...

Thang guys......... I am leaning toward Poast. Then when I get the problem under control I'll probably go with mulch in the raspberries at least.

Is Poast a restricted use herbicide??? I was under the impression you did not need a licence for it, like Roundup. No matter as I am a commercial licenced "right of way" applicator. Just no strawberries or raspberries in the ditches.

One more hint to the above! When your bed gets overcrowded with plants just take the rototiller through the bed, leave a swath of plants then till a swath and so on, the runners will fill in the tilled swath for new plants next year, then the next year just reverse and till the old berries and the first tilled berries will fill in etc--a perpetual patch of new berries.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

>I am leaning toward Poast.

If you can't fix it, poison it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

MB............ I hate to use poison for sure. Things just got away from me last fall with family issues. I haven't committed to it yet, but may have to if time doesn't allow hand weeding soon.

Why do we need to sleep anyway!! A major defect

Maybe you thought I was joking, but when I was a kid I never saw a strawberry patch without geese. They will eat every blade of grass and never touch a strawberry or plant.

iddee,

I've got a couple of chinese geese, the big white ones

https://secuservices.com/ideal/descr...hinese%20Geese

I've been told farmers used to call them "weeder geese" for exactly the reason you describe
    I must say mine will eat a strawberry from my hand but they don't touch em on their own
    funny how they'll eat anything from the hand of the person who feeds them

Dave

[size="1"][ May 29, 2006, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ][/size]

Geesse feed on grass >>>>>>>> My dogs feed on geese.

So start with 3 geese each with a gaggle of goslings...The mother geese will take care of the dogs...educate them well...
    Be ready for a blind dog or two.

Sundance here in N.C. poast is restricted. So thats why i got my herbicide licence for farm use and to do side jobs for other people. But it might not be in your state. So if you got some use it for grass i mix it about half strengh. Also i have a dog thats good at weeding but realy he's looking for moles.
    If your gettin stung your doing something wrong...

LOL....... I got a couple mole/mouse dogs too.

As far as geese........ being an avid goose hunter I don't want my dogs being educated that way.

well, then you don't get to have no strawberries [img]smile.gif[/img]
    you gotta pick your luxuries
    Dave

ps: fence the strawberries and the geese, that works for me [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 29, 2006, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ][/size]

iddee,

do you recommend any breed? I've wanted some ducks or geese, so now I have a good excuse! How about the Canadians? I guess they might fly away. Will the geese eat any other garden plants? The geese would have access to the rest of our garden.

My strawberry patches have always been small, but I've done this for weeds.

Leave all the clover when hand weeding. They will help fill in the gaps and provide nitrogen to the soil.

In early, early spring, Dig them up, till a new patch, and replant.

[size="1"][ May 30, 2006, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: MichaelW ][/size]