Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

>Of course folks also used paces and strides (approximately 3' and 6' respectively)

And a mile is a thousand Roman strides. Apparently they had short legs. Because mine would be 6000 feet (2000 yards) instead of 5280 (1760 yards). [img]smile.gif[/img]

>I have no idea which grain the current grain
    is based upon

Apparently one that makes at least a round number when you count the number in a pound. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll bet if they were really measuring barley grains it would be somthing like 6952 grains to a pound on a dry day and 7123 grains to a pound on a humid day. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The best one I can think of is the British unit
    of thermal conductivity (useful for calculating
    heat transfer through walls):

BTUs/hour/square foot/cm/degree F

Yikes....... all these wild units of measure are makin my head hurt, blood is coming out of my ears!

Metric conversion now appears like pure genius.

<<Is that a hint? No I've never read it.>>

Not at all, there was a bit in it about furlongs per fortnight, and that only pops up so often...

There WAS a lot of eye rolling when my co-workers saw me reading it though!

I think "furlongs per fortnight" is the standard absurd measurment. Although, now that Jim has brought it up, I'm trying to figure out why BUTC aren't the standard.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

“I have no idea which grain the current grain is based upon.”

Carats, grains and pennyweights were weight measurements used by the Egyptians. The Egyptians used the weight of a carob bean for a carat. Grains, pennyweights and troy ounces are measurements for the weight of precious metals like gold.

As you mentioned, grain scales are very accurate and inexpensive. I have an electronic scale that will measure any of the above. By the way, it takes 20 carats to equal 1 gram. The ancient Egyptians were not dumb!

>BTUs/hour/square foot/cm/degree F

I've used this to size the various boilers and heaters in my greenhouses. It works quite nicely even if it sounds weird. I guess those Brits know their heat loss.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation