Rode the four wheeler to an old homestead orchard from the 1800 era, did not find any morels but found an old clump of domesticated hazelnuts--don't know what kind of hazelnuts were available back then but dug out a couple of root shoots to plant by my bee yard, our wild hazelnuts may reach twelve to fifteen feet high here but these are around twenty to twenty five feet high. Blooming plants are everywhere now even seeing blossoms on trillium and trout lily today. Mandrakes abouit eight inches high and spring peepers are a peepin.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I`m headed out around "mothers day". I visited a site that talked about finding morels in old apple orchards. I think it was in the Leheigh valley area of PA. Anyway I emailed the author and she said for my location (central NY)
    that around the middle of may start looking ...Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

Check this site for PA morel posts. You should be able to find black morels at least through central PA by now. Yellows and greys should be up soon.

-Pete
    ------------------------------
    "If it ain't broke, I'll break it!"

I went out looking for a little while on Wednesday evening. Found about a dozen blacks, all of them were pretty small. As a matter of fact they were so small that I just let them be. I figure that they'll spread better if I leave some to spread their spores.

power napper,
    How many of the hazelnits do you have? I think I have 12 of them if I remember correctly. Last year was not a good year for them, all the nuts that I got were small. I think it was from the lack of rain. I just left them for the squirrels to enjoy.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

Hi carbide--all the hazelnuts growing around here are the wild ones, that is why I was excited finding a domesticated bush, this domesticated one has trunks the diameter of a base ball bat where my wild ones are approximately an inch in diameter. Have planted several domesticated ones previously but either the critters or the mower gets them. Squirrels, pine squirrels and chipmunks get them as soon as they are ripe. Still have not found any morels yet, the last three mornings have been hard white frosts here.

I would be very interested in some wild hazelnuts for planting.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Found a bunch of nice golden morels in Kentucky last weekend.

I found around 100 yellow morels yesterday.
    Todd Zeiner

Hey Todd: Where exactly did you find them???? You can trust me.(wink wink). Seriously found one small black one here last week by accident. We usually look around the first week in May but really need warmer weather here first.

[size="1"][ April 29, 2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Karl ][/size]
    Trying to age gracefully, don't think its working!!

Hey Karl, I would tell you but I'd have to kill you. (wink wink)

I did make a deal with another beek yesterday. I traded some morels for some nice drawn super frames. Anyone else want to trade morels for drawn comb. Seems like I'm always needing more brood comb.
    Todd Zeiner

Found four morels while checking out the bee hives--that's the way to find em! Small and hve been touched with frost on top but it still counts! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Picked up an inch of rain last night with more in the forecast over the next several days. Moisture is looking good, now if we can get a few hot and humid days in the next week we might get a bumper crop. All hinges on the few critical "ifs".
    Trying to age gracefully, don't think its working!!