Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

OK. I am looking at a Ford 900. Has a 3 point but no live PTO. The $60 over running clutch sounds like the answer to that.

I like the Massey's a bunch. The neighbor has a Massey 50 restored. Sharp.

Found a 6 foot draging disc. Any down side to discing without 3 point?

>>>Any down side to discing without 3 point?<<<

You cannot stop, back-up, and turn around. Always forward only, circles and u-turns.

Iddee.... or others....... What is the downside of the "tricycle" front wheels on the narrow front. I found a really dandy Ford 900 but it has the narrow front.

Is this a major problem?

Thanks

It's only a problem in soft soils. It carries the whole weight of the front of the tractor, and sinks easily. But you can turn those puppies around on a dime, that is the one big advantage, as long as you don't have anything hooked on behind you, that is.
    I maybe basied, but the best tractor I have found for small farm farming is an AC 5050. 50 hp, 3pt, pto, and lots of power in the 3 clnyinder diesel engine. I use mine for mowing hay, plowing(will pull 3b plow), discing, draggin, have frontend loader for it, man, it does everything. I really like it. Yes, you definitly want to take someone with you who knows tractors.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Bruce, let the front wheels hit one bump, spin the steering wheel, and break 3 fingers and you will understand. A tricycle front end is for plowing only, not utility work. You will hate it if you want a versatile, all-around tractor.

Thanks iddee. Tricycle is out the window.

iddee speaks the truth. Tricycle gear is for row croppers. The old John Deere A's and B's and an occassional model 50 are really popular around here, more so in past years. They're all, with a few exceptions, narrow front ends. Folks use them in the woods of course, I did.. dangerous. Very dangerous. I actually went one step further down the stupid road and wrapped half tracks around my rear wheels and actually turned my tractor upside down. Fortunately, I managed to get out from under it before it came over and crushed me.

Ah... to be young and foolish again.... Not!
    Dulcius ex asperis

Appreciate all you guys wisdom. I know my Cub Cadets by IH but big boy tractors are a learning experiance.

Having done a bit of time at ford motor compary (tractor division) the following advice is highly biased:

first off I would suggest that the amount of hp that you will require is greater than the type of tractor that you appear to be viewing. the old rule of thumb was that a standard molboard plow required 10 hp/ft of plow and a standard tiller requires about the same minimum hp in order for it to operate at low ground speed. soil type (sand to heavy clay) is the largest variable in regards to this rule of thumb.

ground engaging tools... not only should you require a 3 point hitch you should limit your search to those tractors that feature draft control. these are standard on most ford tractors beginning with the 8-n. if you look at the old 8-n then you will see a loaded spring at the junction of the three point hitch top link. a lever just above the foot plate (seems like the right side of tractor) engages/disengagese the draft control. this allows you to set the down pressure on the emplement which the draft control then maintains constantly by automatically moving the emplement up and down (this allows for an operator to maintain constant ground speed when operating a plow or heavy disc).

as to pto... there are about 8 variation on this theme. most live pto are two stage affairs in regards to the clutch position. so when the clutch is fully down the pto is disengaged and when half way up the pto begin to engage.

safety... the safety record of farm equipment is strewn with dead bodies. those of us who are a bit luckier than others may hobble away from these disasters feeling quite fortunate, but most will continue to hobble for the remainder of their natural lives.

anyway my recommendation in regards to this issue and in no particular order are...

1) diesel fuel vs gas- always choose a diesel since diesel fuel will not burn (years back I acquired a new tractor and my boss at the time insisted that I alter my order from gas to diesel- looking back it is a decision that quite literally saved my life).

2)roll over protection device(rops)- a bar that prevents the tractor from rolling over on top of the operator. fairly standard on most newer tractor(but quite buildable with a bit of square tube) be most certain to read the safety tips since most rops equiped tractor will tell you to ALWAYS fasten your safety belt. I could give you a very detailed description of how one operator did not follow these instruction and the outcome was that the rops killed him when the tractor overturned.

accessory...
    look for a make or model with 1 or 2 hydraulic quick connects. the number of thing that you can accomplish by utilizing a farm tractor as a hydraulic power unit is almost endless.

I will never buy another tractor without a factory installed front end loader (those mounted later are likely to have hydraulic pumps on the tractor which makes the loader much to slow to be functional)

my current favorite....
    I think of all the tractors currently on the market the kabota is by far the superior piece of machinery. many of the older (likely beginning in the mid 1970's) IH and ford and john deere smaller tractors are in fact kabotas with a slightly different paint job. the smaller 30 hp compact tractors equipped with 4 wheel drive have an amazing amount of ground traction (which in the final analysis is what a tractor is all about). matter of fact I am looking quite seriously at one of these unit right now.

Thanks Tec for the insight. I don't need a front end loader as I have a Bobcat 721 that will handle that end.

Roll over protection is and will be either in place or put on anything this hombre rides.

I have backed of on the urgency of a tractor and hired my neighbor to break ground for me. I have small IH Cub Cadets that will pull my 6 foot disc.

I want to take my time and get it right and I can by eliminating the "urgency".

Darn, Tec, I couldn't find a thing in your post to disagree with....I must be slipping. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Good post, and quite complete.

well thanks iddee. I do appreciate that.

and as to slipping, now ain't that what traction is all about (it's a tractor joke).

I'm kind of partial towards the IH 300 utility, and my Minneapolis Moline Jet Star 3. The MM is a GREAT work horse(ampli-torque is nice for that). The IH makes a great hobby tractor. Steve
    If your pulling a trigger, it really isn't bowhunting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123