Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Coyote........ tractors like those are really common here in the land of 10,000 acre farms.

The smaller rascals are harder to find.

How much does that agco usually run? 100g's?
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

Bruce,
    If you know any one who knows any thing about tractors PLEASE take them with you!! When we first moved out here we bought a tractor our knowledge was like yours, not much. The wheel seals were bad, the transmission was bad and several other problems. Maybe from church or at the local feed store a neighbor, it will be worth it.

Craig
    ;) Good Day Craig W.<br /><a href=\"http://www.weaversproduce.mysite.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.weaversproduce.mysite.com</a>

Yeah, Bruce, fly me out there for a week in the hills of ND. I'll help you shop...I need a vacation..

iddee..... if I was rich and famous....... oh heck just rich will do, I would fly you out.

Thanks Craig for the advise. I have a neighbor that farms and will ask him to do a walk around.

Ive put thousands of hours on john deeres...from 150 hp down to 12 hp..you just cant beat them..and when you go to sell it..it will bring more than when you bought it...
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

I have a call to a guy with a John Deere 60. Not sure if it is too big or too small for me. It has the live PTO and 3 point.

Any hints on what to look for. Got the leaking wheel seal and trany leaks thing down. Hope to get my neighbor to come with but it is 200 miles away.

Same as a used car...Leaks anywhere, hard to start, bad tires, knocking, pinging, uneven running, skipping, smoking...Hook up a piece of equip. that takes the PTO..maybe a bush hog?..Should be smooth , no jerking, shuddering, ETC..Clutch should take hold approx. half way up without slipping. clutch should engage PTO before engaging wheels. stop tractor with equip. up and it should not drift back down..Rather it should hold the equip. up even when tractor isn't running..

OK, that's a start..Some of you other guys tell me what I'm forgetting..

If all you want to do is pull a single bottom plow, a disk and drag you do not need to worry about three point hitches and live power take offs. This might save you some money, and make it easer to find something in your price range.

A farmall A or C, would do, along with an alice chalmers B or C. A small Case maybe. My dads case is a 430 and it has amost a 3 point hitch and a semi live take off.

Ya, if you want modern attachment go for a newer tractor. Depending on how much acerage you want to plow, size does matter.

We took the plunge about 15 years ago and bought a used 40 hp, 4x4 JD, and never regreded it. Made payments on it for a long long time though.

There is no need to buy more than you need but you will always want more than you got.

tom

Looking to pull a 2 or 3 bottom, run a 5' tiller, and pull cultivators and disc.

Using it in small orchard. It would also be nice to have a finishing mower with 4 acres of lawn

Back to the beginning....A Ferguson 35 is top dog in the $3000 and less range. 3 speed, hi-lo, live PTO, comes in both gas and diesel. Individual brakes, twin clutches. Very popular, still, and parts readily available.

I'll search for one iddee.

Only Ferguson 35 I can find is in PA...... bummer cuz it's only $2000.

have you looked over this sales list?http://www.farmandranchguide.com/cla...y&sub=Tractors

No but I sure will...... thanks

I did the old tractor thing, had a Super A. Ride was bumpy. REpairs got expensive. Down time was frustrating. I ended up financing a new tractor. A bit more money but could last a long time. I think 8-9K could get you started for a reliable machine but it rules out the big name brands. Mother Earth NEws recently did a nice review of tractors, FYI. It covered many brands.
    Mahindra E350DI here.

Bruce,
    Always get diesel it has more power than gas.A Ferguson 35 is a good tractor, above all the points given take some one who has been around tractors with you.
    I know the warning sounds in a car or pickup but put me in a tractor as I was and the slightness warning sound I didn't know, I wouldn't be expected too, just like I wouldn't know if I was put in a seat of an 18 wheeler.
    Nothing better than experience. This is going to be a good work horse for you and there are some people out there ready to rip you off. After I bought mine which was running fine at the time, to me, I ended up spending 1,000 on repairs the same month I bought. I bought it for 3,000, needless to say I sold it and loss money on it big time. The wheel seal were bad and so was the transmission, although I could not tell by shifting it, the trans. oil look good, it just made a little bit of a noise and I didn't know that wasn't normal for a tractor, couldn't really tell it any different from any operating noise of the motor.A neighbor of mine that I should have taken came and looked at the tractor, he told me about all the things wrong with it in about 15 min.
    ;) Good Day Craig W.<br /><a href=\"http://www.weaversproduce.mysite.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.weaversproduce.mysite.com</a>

Good advise Craig....... I hope to be able to bring someone along.

A tractor that would pull a 2 or 3 bottom plow would be to heavy to use with a finish mower, it would make for compaction problems. I haven’t seen a tiller that did not require a 3-point hitch. If you do get a tractor without a live pto you can buy a overrunning clutch that fits on the pto for about $60 that will keep you from going over the cliff. Just for fun try pulling a 6 foot bush hog on a hill without the clutch, you’ll wish you had an ejection seat. Old ford’s are fun but don’t have that much power. IH A, B and C can be good old tractors for a few acres but no 3 point, hydraulics’ or live pto. I have a mounted 2 row cultivator and sickle bar mower for my B. Old Allis Chalmers equipment can be very reliable, I have a neighbor who is still farming 80 Acres with a WD 45 that he bought new. Around here you can find a lot of equipment the fits the AC snap coupler hitch. John Deere is very good but be aware the are very proud of their replacement parts. I had to put a seal kit in my John Deere backhoe last year and a handful of seals cost a hundred bucks. A friend needed to replace the ignition key switch in his riding mower and the switch cost 60 Bucks. Get a diesel if you can, they are much more fuel efficient than a gas tractor but harder to start in the winter. My dream tractor would be a small Massey Ferguson with diesel engine, 3 point, wide front and live pto.

That's another point I didn't bring up. Get a wide front, not a tricycle front end. A tricycle is not for utility use. It is for specific jobs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast