I have a guinea that should be sexually mature by now as well as a new chicken that ought to start laying. We have had several small eggs layed in the nesting boxes and also 2 on the ground. Brown in color.

Do guineas lay eggs where I can find them? How do they compare in size and color to chicken eggs? How do they taste?

Thank you.

Guinea eggs are about a half to two thirds the size of chicken eggs. The color varies from one type of guinea to the next, most are brownish tan/slightly speckled. The pointed end is much 'pointier' and the shells are really hard. They are quite tasty, just like chicken eggs really.

My guineas seem to have laid just about anywhere they felt like until they went broody. Telling hens from cocks with guineas is a little more difficult and I honestly don't know how to for certain. I have five, four are sitting together on a whole lot of eggs in one large nest box that I'd set up for my geese. I don't know if the fifth is a male or not, I never saw any mating activity. I put some turkey eggs under them just to be sure they weren't wasting their time. One of my guineas started to lay outside of their pen under a bush, they fly well so they aren't really enclosed anywhere without a roof/top.

My oh my do I miss the guinea eggs--they are far better to my tastebuds than free range chicker eggs. I used to know how to tell the males from females by the red wattles on their heads but can't quite pull it up in my grey drive(head). Observe the heads and wattles and you will see the difference!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

>Telling hens from cocks with guineas is a little more difficult and I honestly don't know how to for certain.

You can tell the sex by the voice. The females have a two tone sound "buck-wheat" while the males have a single tone sound "chi-chi-chi......." Beware though, when the males start sqwaking a warning call, the females can mimick the chi-chi-chi .

I agree with everyone on the eggs. If your guinea is free range they tend to find a secluded spot to make a nest. They will drop eggs in it as fast as possable and when they (a whole flock) gets a nestfull then the most broody hen will sit on it. Sometimes they might switch off but I have always seen the same hen on the same nest.
    You might coax a hen to start laying in colder weather with warm drinking water.
    Telling a male from a female is difficult. The female warble or beard on a females head (two on the sides of beak) tend to hand more straight then the males which flare out. If both are standing side by side its easy. If you have only one it can be difficult.

The male guinea's are the stupid ones. The female guinea's are the dumb ones. You can tell them apart because the males squawk all night, the females only squawk after sunset. But they both sqauwk all day.

I never found out how my guinea's eggs or meat tasted, you'll have to ask the neighborhood bobcat.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden