Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Good Dog Name

How about "Ampersand" or "Asterisk?"

"Scout?" too normal

-Pete
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

Wayacoyote wrote a thoughtful and very good method for housetraining. He's so right on. I've trained dogs for years and also was a volunteer for guidedogs. We often got the pups straight from the mother and had to potty train.
    If he always "goes" outside, he will always want to "go" outside. ALWAYS take him out after eating, sleeping, playing, and whenever you think of it. Don't give him the opportunity to soil in the house. Even if it is cold or raining, stand there until he goes. Extra special hint...try to catch him just as he starts to go and give him the "go" command. Eventually he will relieve himself immediately after you give the command. Dogs are permanant two year-olds. If they shouldn't have it, remove it. Most propblems with dogs are "operator error".
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

Dog training....

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ March 28, 2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: BjornBee ][/size]

Mabe,
    Right on about the "go" command! And it's as easy as just talking to them, right? My most recent dogs would go on command, ready or not. Like getting the kids ready for a trip, "everybody has to go potty." Helps not have too many surprises just like with kids on the trip. Same with "get a drink" "eat" etc... Like Mabe said, tell them what they're doing while their doing it, and eventually they make the connection.

Bjorn,
    The first dog I had that actually trained me... she was almost as easy as you discribed, without all the exciting gun-play. She barked one night in the yard. I opened the second story window and calmly called to her. Then I told her that Papa wouldn't let me keep her if she barked. Seriously, that was the last time she barked without it being to tell me something. In fact, I couldn't get her to "speak" after that. Absolutely amazing. But don't we all have an animal like that in our past? Perhapse even a significant other.
    Waya
    WayaCoyote

"Forgot my previous Springers name was Max. Very fitting as Springers are on maximum almost all the time."

Its true, I know a vet who lost a finger to one

If he likes to ride in the back of your truck call him Harley Davidson..lol...
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Chief

Chief was my nephews sheppards name. He was a truly frightfull dog. Members of the family were too scared to go to their house for holidays.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I named my Siberian Husky "quest". -> http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t=IMG_3054.jpg

because hes a pain to teach anything, but hes a good dog [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[size="1"][ March 31, 2006, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Dannny ][/size]
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

"Blaze"

Our female Shar-Pei wound up with the name Jake. When she was a puppy she snored, and sounded exactly like a jake brake on a semi. Course now she doesn't snore!
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...