Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Dog Name

What's a good name for a dog?
    Got a English Springer Spaniel today. ItÂ’s a male dog but I need to be sure it will be named a respectable manly name. I have to convince the kids so I may have my work cut out for me. ;&gt

Get some chew and take practice spitting. Oh, yeah....how about "Dog".

And if you wanted a manly name, you should of gotten a manly dog... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My Springer is named Beau.

My Lab is named Raven.

My Cheseapeake is named Lady.

I have had 2 dogs with the name Chivas (after the scotch).

[size="1"][ March 25, 2006, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ][/size]

Forgot my previous Springers name was Max. Very fitting as Springers are on maximum almost all the time.

Joe, name your dog after having taken some time to get to know them. You don't want a manly name so much as you want the Right name. The right name will come to you, and it will fit. Our dog is named Leo.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Comedian Steven Wright says he named his dog Stay, but doesn't understand why he goes spastic when he calls for him.

Come here, Stay. Come here, Stay. [img]smile.gif[/img]

He is one of the greatest dead pan comics. I have to throw in a few more lines.

--Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

--I planted some birdseed. A bird grew. Now I don't know what to feed it.

--I used to work at a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place.

--I have the world's largest collection of seashells ... I keep it on the beach.

--If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

Pepper...

We have a three legged dog in the neighborhood. The kids refer to him as LUCKY!!!

And on a sad note we just lost our family pet of eight years. She was a Boykin Spaniel named MEG.

English Springer Spaniel - The name should be yours but,--- just a thought Winchester and call him Chester.

[size="1"][ March 25, 2006, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: sc-bee ][/size]
    sc-bee

Then there is the Dauchound with no back legs and steel balls named "Sparky"

Joe,
    My last dog, a huge mutt, was Yonv (Yo-nuh) which means "bear".

My baby sister named Mom's cat. Mom, a school bus driver, foster mother, and all around generous person, always has school children over. Wendy named the cat, "Askim".

After closed to 10 years, I still don't get tired when a new child comes over and asks, "what's the cat's name?" When we say, "Askim", they ALWAYS squat down and oblige with "what's your name, kitty?" It's darling, and I think there'll always be an Askim in the family now.

Waya (did I just say "darling"?)
    WayaCoyote

>What's a good name for a dog?

Standard Lakota name for a puppy is "Soup". Standard name for a grown dog is "Lucky".

>Got a English Springer Spaniel today.

I've had several. If they weren't so lovable I'd get a dog with a brain.

> ItÂ’s a male dog but I need to be sure it will be named a respectable manly name. I have to convince the kids so I may have my work cut out for me. ;&gt

My previous male Springer was "The Earl of Bushen" after an ancestor of mine. [img]smile.gif[/img] We just called him Bushen. Earl, duke, or king always seems popular. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My dog's Barley, and one of the cats is Duke Wilhelm IV but goes by Willie. My vote's to wait and see what he's like, some great names can suggest themselves tho kids will NOT like that plan!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I have a brittany and his name is dawg regesterd and all

I had a Rottweiler and his name was "Preacher", because most that seen him would start praying.
    Ted

Thanks all! those were some good, some not so good, some funny, and not so funny suggestions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The kids picked 'Scout'

Now, the next question of course is,,,
    How to house train Scout. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's a catchy phrase...... "Scout, Out"

Joe,
    THis is something I do have some experience with. FIRST and foremost, Scout deserves his own place... a crate where he sleeps every night. I've tried the plastic ones, but they limit the dog's ability to watch others. The metal wire ones allow him to go in and feel secure while still monitoring everything else.

Secondly, like bees with too much space, Scout shouldn't get too much space in his crate. Most dogs instinctively won't go where they sleep. but if his crate is big enough, he'll go Beside where he sleeps

Thirdly, remember how often you changed those kids diapers? Well expect to commit the same, even more, effort to Scout. You want to walk him Before he goes rather than cleaning after him. (Why don't we do that with kids?)

Forth, consistency is the key to everything. Talk to him. Remember how many times you sat down and had a lesson with your kids over the word "drink" and what it means and its various tenses? Never. You simply used it consistently as they grew starting before they even gave you the time of day. Talk to him and with in a year, he'll have a decent vocabulary.

Fifth, consistency is the key to everything. Remember how the kids USED to run and meet you when you came home from work? How you had to be gentle but timely in your repremands? How you had to praise them and play with them? How you have rules that never waver? He'll need the same from you.

I learned early on when I became dedicated to good-dog rearing that raising a dog mirrors raising a child in just about every aspect. Their needs and wants are the same. Their capacity to learn is even accelerated to a degree. Their ability to respond to us and affect us is similar to us as well. (I can't forget the feelings I had when I found out that Corky was pregnant. Oh, boy.)

I'm a firm, very firm believer that every couple should raise a dog before trying to raise kids. You'll learn a lot about yourself. And, unlike your kids, if your dog turns out to be a mass murding, drug pushing bumb, you CAN put an immediate stop to it. The law frowns on doing that to your kids.

Waya

PS. Consistency is the key to everything. He should have a few toys that are his. Too often, people over indulge in play toys thinking it will distract the dog from the slippers. More often, it teaches the dog that everything on the floor is fair game. A toy he likes and will stick with is worth all the money you'd otherwise spend on toys he'll ignore and clothes he's torn up.

PSS. By the way, consistency is the key to everything. Now is not too early to get him used to having his teeth brushed, his toenails clipped and his ears cleaned. Plus, that doggie toothpaste must be awesome. I quit using it on Yonv for his teeth and turned it into a "scent" for him to track in the house. Lots of fun.

PSSS don't forget the consistency.
    WayaCoyote

>I'd get a dog with a brain.

Brain soup? YUCK!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

When I was a kid I asked our neighbor near the farm why he named his dog Bullet. He said that was what he was going to catch as soon as he starts killin' chickens.

There is a lot to be said for letting an animal name itself. My African Gray parrot that turned 17 last year must have decided that Graybeard wasn't femine enough, she now calls herself Graygirl.

Then there was the Norweigan Elkhound I had that I named Wolf, at least that is what I thought he was saying.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam