Does anybody know if it's possible to piant a tiled kitchen countertop with something that would be durable? If so how and what? I've seen it done before to the formica top counters but I can't remember with what. I remember it was thick and nasty looking kind of like bedliner paint or the paint they paint on garage floors to get better traction.

I would suggest looking into a high gloss epoxy paint. It sticks to about anything, is durable and is approved to be used in food processing plants. ( this I know because we painted the inside of one of Frank Purdue's plants years ago in delaware.)

Check with bar owners or bar supply houses.

They use a urethane based clear coat that is incredibly durable.

now it would seem like to me that almost any paint product would not be very durable on glazed tile. it the tile 'that' ugly?

Well I think it's fine......my wife on the other hand doesn't. Our kitchen is painted a cream color, all the appliances are black, the counter tile is baby blue. It really doesn't match but hey I'm a guy I'm ok with it. She want to paint it black.

"Well I think it's fine......my wife on the other hand doesn't. "

We're in the same boat. Our counters are lime green and I don't care, but my wife wants it out. The thing is I don't want to waste money on another one of those cheapo formica countertops because the relatively new one we have now has already warped on a bar type area. So I need to reinforce the counters before putting anything back on, so I might as well do marble tile then. So.. its now a huge job. Painting sounds like a good idea......

Try arguing the ecological issues. It's bad for the earth to throw out perfectly usable counters. [img]smile.gif[/img] It works on some of them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Good one!!!

michael adds:
    Our counters are lime green and I don't care, but my wife wants it out.

tecumseh replies:
    lime green???? well I must agree with you wife on this one michael. that would just have to go.

come on guys... buy the wife a new counter top (actually tile is one of the easiest remodeling projects). and think of all the trading card you will have in your hand when you want that NEW radial extractor a bit later on this year.

If only it worked that way.........

Propolis, if you had just told us your wife was involved with this decision in the beginning we could have saved you a considerable amount of time and aggravation. Aske her what she wants to do, say yes dear and carry on!

Propolis,
    Easiest solution:
    Paint the walls baby blue.
    Then paint the appliances baby blue.

Ta-da! it all matches. Then you can bringing some coloring books and a crib and suddenly you've got a great place for that son/grandson/nephew to stay.

On a more serious note... we all know:
    women = time x money
    time = money

so women = (time) squared

since money = root of problems
    women = (root of problems) squared
    or women = problems

(ladies, don't stone me! It's MATH)

on an even more serious note:
    I had one lynx hooch made out of wood which had an awesome flooring system. Some creative person coated the inside with epoxy of some type. It cleaned like china! Very durable, standing up to everyday cleaning and constant coating of lynx urine. It had out-lived 2 other animals, in fact. I wished all my hooches were so treated.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Propolis--ya got a sprayer? It would be quick and thorough and all one color!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

No sprayer. I'm nervous about doing it all. If it doesn't look good there isn't any going back. Maybe if I just hide my wife's gallses it will look better to her.

I hate to tell you that you will be wasting your money on painting glossy ceramic tile. The paint will stick, but over a short time it will start turning loose around the edges. The same holds true for painting kitchen cabinets with latex enamel paint, over glossy oil base enamel paint, then you either get to strip the paint down to the original wood, or tear them out, and get some new cabinets at $150.00 + per running foot.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Good. I was leaning toward just telling my wife it was a bad idea anyway.

Now......can I use the money I just saved on paint on beekeeping equpiment? Trying to think like a woman here.......

no stonings just a thought, women= a pile of money saved that you haven't even thought about like shopping every week for the best price on your groceries, your childcare expenses, if you have them, the best prices for your next family vacation, the appropriate and affordable gifts for your family and friends for birthdays, Christmas, weddings etc, the new clothes you need, following up with your auto repair man, running to the Discount Auto Parts for you, and on it could go.

On painting tile though, I saw it done on an episode of Debbie Travis Facelift on HGTV in a bathroom which required a special primer for the tile prior to painting. For a kitchen counter I would probably just forego that for a replacement. My husband and I built our own house from the ground up a couple of years ago, we have beautiful cherry cabinets that were very expensive but we got burned out and ended up getting prefab countertops from HD so we could hurry up and get our final inspection. I am actually happy with the countertops but I also had wanted tile before. Your solution might not be as expensive or as time consuming as you might think. See if there is an alternative that can meet the need without breaking the budget.
    Sincere good wishes to you and yours