Thread: Fishing Hooks

hey guys i was wondering if any one made or knew of any one who makes special fishing hooks. We have some for salt water fishing that are not made any more and we can not find them. They are about 2.5in long shank and maybe .5-.75 of an inch wide at the hook not a big hook just long. thanks Nick

Sounds like a streamer hook. Check out fly tying catalogs.
    JohnF INTP

Circle hooks are the only way to go......... if your not tying flies.

I 2nd the circle hook's love them.
    Hook's in corner of mouth easy to
    remove and toss fish in cooler.
    Or do what i do clean fish and
    bread it toss in fry pan on boat..
    If your gettin stung your doing something wrong...

Sounds like you're looking for an "O'Shaugnessy" hook. They have them in all sorts of sizes. Try Cabela's 2006 saltwater catalog page 93. You probably want an 8/0 (eight aught) or 9/0 (nine aught). They also have some other long shanked hooks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Try here. Pretty much every style from fresh water fly hooks to monster shark hooks.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/index.php
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Look up a company names TruTurn, also Mustad may have wwhat you need, I tie trouts flies with Mustad and they are excellent.

good link coyote.......

heres and example of the circle hook:

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=1006

They are wonderful for hook ups and if release is a consideration they save a lot of fish. You can't really gullet hook with the circle, always ends up right in the corner of the mouth. Wish I could find them in smaller sizes for walleye up here.

If I were king of the world it would be illegal to use anything else when using live bait.

well mustad used to make these hooks a circle hook wont do what we what. see what we do is we poke a hole in the end of the minow right by teh tail and thread the eye of the hook through the hole and all the way till it is sticking out the minows mouth. then put the hook on the line. the reason for this is when we are fishing for blue fish they will hit from the back of the minow. and since the hook part is so far back it is much easier to get them. we have tried a smaller hook and put it though the head like we do for bass and stuff but will not hook near as many bites than if we were useing the longer hook. Nick

Try a system called a quick strike rig or a stinger hook. (basically the same idea.)
    JohnF INTP

could you explain it john? I havent heard of this. Nick

Here's a picture of one. Sorry it's from a catalog, I just make my own.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/tac...hornebros.html

You can do this with hooks other than treble hooks.

The front hook goes in the lip and the back hook can be put under the skin at the tail or just left trailing. (depends on the fish type, but some will take the hook with the bait.)

The stingers I use are separate leaders (very short) with a hook that I add to a jig or a rig when I get short strikes. (I fish walleye mostly) On the front I have a very small clip so I can just clip them on. (Not a snap, but that would probably work too.)

To me, you're problem sounds like perpetual short strikes.

For what you are doing a streamer hook might be a little light, don't know. I have hooks similar to what you are talking about, and used in the same way basically, called long shank aberdeen. Mine are gold colored.
    JohnF INTP

I use stingers frequently as well. Many jigs come with a second eye to run the stinger off of.

I too make my own quick strike treble set ups with single strand stainless for northern fishing off tip ups through the ice. Of course with them there is no intention of release.

For those toothy blues the single strand stainless holds up and is very easy to use to run stingers back. A forceps makes it easy to do the haywire twist.