Thread: Chicken ID

can anyone name the hawklike looking chicken on the left?

http://web.utk.edu/~wu4you/My%204%20..._chickens2.htm

[size="1"][ October 08, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: MichaelW ][/size]

It's a hen of the fighting chickens, locally called game chickens. Looks to possibly be a white hackle.
    Some of the cock fighters on here may correct me on the white hackle guess.

[size="1"][ October 04, 2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: iddee ][/size]

Yeah, I can. Fred, Jerry, scratch, larry, moe, curly, Manny, Moe, Jack, or how about Dinner. Honestly, you can't come up with a name yourself?

How about Ameruacana? Nice blue eggs. I have 6 of them laying.

Looks just like my Aracana hens. It's got a beard and slate green legs just like them.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/prod...mericanas.html

They come in a lot of different colors.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have an araucana hen that is almost identical. Does yours lay green or blue eggs? Occassionally you'll get one that lays brown eggs.

Technically, these are considered easter egg chickens and are not true araucanas, but they're pretty darn close. These aren't especially well bred birds, so there is a lot of variation in how they look.

I've got a rooster of the same type who's fearless and agressive. Even though I don't agree with the concept of cock fighting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this type of roo is used for that purpose.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

here's a short discussion of the difference between Araucanas and Ameruacana

secuservices.com/ideal/descriptionsearch.asp?Product=Ameraucanas%20(Arauc anas)

Dave

ah, thanks it must be an Aracana or an Americana

Drobbins, I couldn't get the link to work, would like to read about the differences.

I get 1-2 green eggs a day but only have the one americana. I thought the black chickens I have were laying the green ones. Looking at Hoovers Hatchery site, where I ordered them, the black ones must be Black Australorp and/or Black Sex Link.

I was thinking 1-2 a day would be alot for a green egg layer, but maybe shes just good. They advertise them as Americana's but not show quality. They also use the term Araucana to describe, I think, the same birds.

Can some other brown egg layer breeds also occasionally lay green eggs? We occasionally get a white one too.

If you're getting more than one green egg per day, you almost certainly have more than one easter egger. They can vary a lot in appearance.

If the black chickens are completely black with a green sheen while in bright sun, they are australorps. If they have some brown on them they are probably black sex links.

If you are getting white eggs, you almost certainly have yet a third chicken variety! White egg layers usually have white "ear lobes".

MichaelW

the forums gag on the URL because it contains parentheses
    try this link

https://secuservices.com/ideal/

scroll down to the link for "tinted egg layers"
    that'll take you to a description of the breeds

Dave

[edit]
    it's short, I'll just post it

Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed. They have beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. They are often incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tuffs, are rumpless, and do not have a tail head which gives them a bunny tail appearance. Most of the chicks sold as Araucanas are really Ameraucanas, which are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green. Standard weights at maturity are male-5lbs, and hen-4lbs.

[size="1"][ October 05, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ][/size]

Here is a page with all my chicken varieties on it. I think I may have 3 Americana's. The chickens in question are the first three on the left. I also have some black chickens I think are Black Australorps, but am unsure. What do you guys think?

http://web.utk.edu/~wu4you/My%204%20..._chickens2.htm

The possibilities are: Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Black Sex Link, Production Red, California Grey, Gold Star, White Rock, Silver Lace, Araucana, and Buff Orpington; from Hoover's Hatchery "assorted heavy breeds"

[size="1"][ October 08, 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: MichaelW ][/size]

The green legs, referred to as "willow" colored, are typical of Ameracaunas. Aracaunas are rumpless, so have no tail feathers, or few, and their tufts actually come out of their ears, whereas Ameracaunas generally have muffs and or beards, or neither as it appears in the case of the two chickens you're wondering about. Aracaunas are quite uncommon and difficult to come by, whereas Ameracaunas are easy to come by.

There is another possibility for the black hens. I have only bought RIR and BR's, I keep them seperated and mark the eggs when I plan on incubating them. Out of the BR's I have gotten 15-20 pure black hens, with green legs. I'm not sure what the crosses are to produce either aracaunas, or ameracaunas, but these birds were out of a straight BR line. They have all been hens, never a rooster. I now have a bunch of these hens which I will breed back to a BR rooster in the spring, just to see what I get. They are a nice looking bird, when I get around to it I will seperate them out to see what kind of egg they lay, but for now I am content to let them run with the rest.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Peggjam,

You've been creating black sex links. Crossing a red rooster with barred rock hen. Here is a site with some info.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/C...RKSexLink.html

They are usually good layers.

Hillside:

No, these are out of pure bred barred rock chickens. Barred rock rooster and barred rock hen. All my breeds are kept completely seperate. They are also completely black, no other colors. Now having said that, I don't know for sure that the "pure bred" barred rocks that I bought from welps hatchery didn't have something mixed in with them. Just going by what my chickens appear to be.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage