One question for now...more to come soon...

How do I know if a goat is preggers? I would assume it would be obvious in a few months, but how would I know early in the pregnancy?

BubbaBob

If she throws up every morning, Has very swift and wide mood swings, crys at evrything you say and sends you all the way into town at 10:00 pm to get "Death By Chocolate" icecream... And you go....

As you probably guessed... I dont know a darn thing about goats....

tom

How old is she, when did she ween her last kid, when was the ram with her? She should be obvious around three months, but it varies.

I have one proven buck...6 mos old, and 6 does...two at 6 mos, one 1 year old that has never been freshened, 1 one year old first freshener, and 2 two yr old second fresheners.

I cannot keep the buck in his pen...he slips every fencing option I've tried...seems to not even feel the electric...

Up until three days ago I wasn't worried as I saw nothing to indicate he was in rut or that the does were in heat...but in the last couple of days he's beginning to act...well...weird, and I think he's now in rut, and the does have become far more active. I see nothing that looks like what I've read as far as vulva appearance or color, but they are a LOT more active than before, a LOT more skittish, and a LOT more inclined to "play" fight (head butting, etc) than before the last few days.

BubbaBob

I'm not sure if weather in your area makes it different than where I've kept goats so keep that in mind. I've raised all my kids on goat's milk, here in Ca. and in South Africa. Remember when talking generaliztions you can be within a month or two.

Nannys can breed at (remember "about") 8 months. They carry their kid/kids 5 months. After she's stopped giving her babies milk, she can be bred in about 2 months. If she's still being milked or suckling she can be receptive even 2-3 months after kidding as well. If that happens you'll know because she will start drying up earlier than normal. With meat goats we could get two three "harvests" every two years. With milk goats it's better for them to breed them every year at the same time, but I know what you mean about keeping them apart.

I've noticed that Boer goats are becoming popular here. What we did was to breed a boer goat male with a Saanen or Alpine nanny, and we'd get the milk from her for 9-10 months. The male offspring we ate, the females we bred back to meat goats, as the extra milk from the hybrid nanny make her kids grow up fast.

All mine are Nubians except one of the 2 yr old does...she's an Alpine. One of the 4 month old doelings is the other two yr old does kid...and still trying to suck unless I tape her mom's teats.

I've only had them since July 29, and milk production has not been near what it should be, but it does not seem to be dropping any in the last few days since they have been acting different.

Ah well...if they are preggers, they are preggers...it's only 2-3 weeks ahead of when I planned anyway.

BubbaBob

When they are all the way in heat they will do it all day long and all night, at least thats what mine did. It was kind of hard to miss. They might be about to go into heat or something. Sometimes my buck gets more interested for what seems like no reason at all. But when the does are in heat for sure, look out for the love machine.

BB,
    I know I'm somewhat dumb, but when the gestation period is 5 months, how can you have a proven Billy at 6 months. He would have impregnated before he was a month old. Am I missing something here?

You can also "tell" when a goat is pregnant by: if they don't cycle into heat again 2 weeks after they were breed, then they must be pregnant. I'm sure theres a more scientific/reliable approach. My goats bred twice before they got pregnant. My buck was pretty young last year when I bought him. It was funny seeing him with my fully grown does. He fought tooth and nail out of the truck but as soon as he got to the fence gate, look out!

I think the gestation period is 6 months.

It's 5, sometimes a few days more.

iddee...the buck is 6 mos old, and I got him 1.5 mos ago. At that time he had bred two other does that I did not buy, but that the owner had determined were preggers by him.

BubbaBob

BB, This may turn into another Billy or buck item, but in my neck of the woods a stud isn't "proven" until he has "healthy" young on the ground.

At 4.5 months I will reserve judgement until I see the proof.

By "proven" I meant he had impregnated two does...the point about not until there are healthy kids is a good one. Thanks.