Question roasted peanut larvae

maybe bubbabob or someone else can answer this,

What are the larvae that have infested the roasted penuts I am eating? There wasn't many at first, now every penut seems to have one in it. Can't seem to get decent peanuts around here, with or without larvae. I had some from Florida earlier this year that were excellent.

Do you know what variety of peanut you are finding them in? I use Valencias from New Mexico for my boiling peanuts and Virginias for my roasted and deep fried peanuts and have not had any problems this season. I've occasionally had nuts sprout early in the past due to their not being properly dried, but I've never had bugs hatch in them and I buy hundreds of pounds at the time.

BubbaBob

I think these are Valencias. I thought the bugs were a common problem. I guess not. I've heard of them before and seen them once before. They look like wax moth larvae, but I don't think they get as big. I'm going to leave these at work and see what they become. Where do you buy 100 pounds of penuts?

We usually shop at small fruit/vegie makets/stands, but they don't usually have good penuts.

At the Atlanta farmer's market. I buy them in 50 lb bags...usually 10 bags at the time, unless it's toward the end of the peanut selling season (usually mid-Nov) when I cut back so I don't have to fight critters all winter.

BubbaBob

BubbaBob,

I went to the atlanta farmers market after reading your post and can't find valencian peanuts. Are they just offered at certain times?

I ended up just coming home with green peanuts for boiling.

Valencias have gotten as scarce as hens teeth in the last month or so...should be back on the market in September. If anyone there has them it will be Hatchers on the guy in shed 14.

BubbaBob

Thanks for your help BubbaBob. I'll check back later. Why would you choose to use a dried peanut for boiling? I have always used green and was just interested in trying something different.

One more thing. Do you deep fry them in the shell? I've never tried them that way, but it sounds good.

I use valencias because they have the best flavor boiled...and because they are about half the price of green peanuts.

I use shelled spanish peanuts for fried peanuts.

BubbaBob