My six year old has developed this uncanny act of being able to spot old cemeteries off the beaten path. Of course, we must stop and go visit and read a few. Tonight on the way home from ice cream, he spotted another one that I had never noticed before.
    So we stopped and went in for a look see. There were the typical markers for an old New England cemetery, some slate, some marble and granite.
    I also saw some that where cast iron.
    This cemetery had three. All three markers were “erected” in 1865.
    Made by a D. French Haverhill, MA. Never seen this before and wonder if cast iron markers are common in other parts of this country?

I've seen the cast iron markers in other places.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

On some of the real old farms in Pennsylvania I have seen some strange markers on the graves, mostly stone though. Sometimes a grave will be in a high place with a special view I guess.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

On the farm in upstate New York where I was raised is an old cemetery taking in a bit over an acre of land. The cemetery goes back to the Revolutionary War.

Each Memorial Day the American Legion places flags on veteranÂ’s graves; some of the flagged gravesites have tombstones dating back to the latter half of the 1700Â’s. I donÂ’t remember seeing any cast iron markers, but there are slate, marble, and granite. Some of the earlier gravestones, too, appear home made--resembling cement.

If you ever happen to get over that way, IÂ’m sure youÂ’d find it interesting. The town of Fort Ann is located in the Glens Falls/Lake George region of upstate New York.

A few local residents there were still being buried in that cememtery up into the late ‘60’s until the cemetery finally filled.