Thread: Horehound Candy

Greetings . . .

Im looking for a recipe for "homemade" horehound candy. I LOVE the stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]

Guess I can buy a "concentrate" somewhere?

How about using fresh/dried plants?

Help?

thanx
    Dave W

The taste is addicting.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Horehound Candy

1 1/4 cups water
    2 cups fresh horehound leaves or 1 cup dried horehound
    4 cups packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup light corn syrup

Put the water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the horehound, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture stand for 1 hour to infuse. Strain the liquid and discard the horehound. Add the sugar and the corn syrup to the liquid, and boil it to the hard-crack stage — 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer.

Pour the syrup into a buttered 12 x 8-inch pan. When the candy begins to set, mark it into squares with the tip of a sharp knife. Cut the candy into pieces when cold.

--------------------------------------------

Supplies:

* 1 cup horehound tea (available in specialty health food stores)
    * 4 cups sugar
    * 2 cups dark or light corn syrup

Instructions:

1. Boil horehound leaves to make a good strong tea.
    2. Drain, keeping 1 cup of liquid tea.
    3. Combine sugar and corn syrup, then add 1 cup of tea liquid.
    4. Boil until it barely begins to caramel.
    5. Put onto a flat greased cookie sheet, in a thin layer.
    6. Start cutting with kitchen shears or scissors as soon as it starts to harden on edges, or you can cut shapes with metal edged cookie cutters.

Ingredients
    1 cup horehound tea
    4 cups sugar
    2 cups dark or light corn syrup

Boil horehound leaves to make a good strong tea. Drain, reserving 1 cup of liquid. Add the cup of tea to the other ingredients and boil until it just starts to caramel. Put onto a flat greased cookie sheet. Start cutting with kitchen shears or scissors as soon as it starts to harden on edges.

-------------------------------------------

OK...what the heck is horehound candy? Is this something I can add at a good profit to my farmers market/roadside stand product mix?

BubbaBob

You can buy it at most drug stores in the hard candy section. You'll either love it or hate it. [img]smile.gif[/img] You might hate the first one and love the second one and then you'll be an addict.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've seen it in drug stores in Minn. Haven't looked here. I will have to try it again. It was so many years ago since I tried it (a grandma thing).

I bet you could substitute honey for the corn syrup in the above recipes for BubbaBob's Honey Horehound Candy (do I get a residual BB?)

thanx for the replies.

I remember "sticks" of candy I use to get when at my grandparents' general store . . . Three sticks for nickle! Expensive, but goooood!

They were about the size of a pc of gum, 'cept thicker. They had groves or a "rope" patten moulded into sides. They tasted "stronger" than the candy drops I often buy at Cracker Barrel restraunts.

Sounds down right yummy...
    I just wish my horehound plant was bigger than 4 inches and more than two small stalks. I might just barely be able to make one piece of candy if went and used the entire plant

Michael Bush:
    Sadly too true. I did not care at all for the first piece, and don't know why I even went for the second, but I would not mind a fix of the stuff now.
    -Robert<br /><a href=\"http://photos.bobsbees.com\" target=\"_blank\">Photos and Such</a>