Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Goats

I don't know about that iddee....

We expect our goats to have alot of natural anti-bodies....the majority of my herd has never had anti-biotics and we show, therefore are hauling our animals around and exposing them to various germs/diseases. Our 6 yr old doe has never had anti-biotics in her life and she's going strong.

We rarely have kidding problems...we've had one bad kidding in the last 6/7 years. We've only ever lost one kid after birth, 3 months of age(suspected genetic problem). We've had one kid born dead (the one bad kidding we've had).

We generally worm 3 or 4 times a year.

I'm not the only herd out there with a similar situation/results.

Michael some breeds are naturally more resistant to worms (Tennessee Fainting Goats are a good example)...does your neighbor milk his Nigerians?

I don't agree with waiting till they are half dead to worm them...first off if you wait till they are that overloaded with worms...the actual worming process can kill them. Just my .02!

LaRae

Michael, if you can find one that is growing leaf tobacco, he will probably let you pull all the flowers and top leaves, along with stalks, for free once he makes his last pull. Possibly even pay you to top it all season. As for the staghorn sumac, I have no opinion on it's usefulness, but I don't think it hurts, and if it gets one mite, it is a good part of IPM. I also use bailing twine "HEMP"in my smoker. It is readily available for free, stores easily,lights easily, and smokes profusely. Possibly the hemp knocks down a few, too. I don't know.

LaRae, I'm not a medical person, just a retarded old redneck. but to me, any time you give a substance to a person or animal for prevention, you are interfering with natural production of anti-bodies. IMO, worming when they are wormy is curing, worming for the prevention of worms is giving anti-biotics.Not that it is bad, just that it is happening. Just my opinion, and like always, opinions are like **********, everybody's got one, and most of them stink.

Wish I knew how to post a smiley.

Iddee I'm not a medical person (or even a vet)...I tend to use common sense about most things and alot of trial and error [img]smile.gif[/img] (that's a smiley)

We don't believe in using heroic measures to save an animal, or spending a ton of money to prolong their life/repair injuries.

I consider worming 3 or 4 times a year to be basic maintence. To clarify I don't worm to prevent worms, I don't believe in worming once a month as part of a preventive plan. I only worm when a fecal test says they are carrying a large worm load. I have some animals that carry heavier worm loads than others without it causing problems so I do take that into consideration before I worm.

When I talk about preventative methods I'm talking about proper food/hay/minerals and shelter...and not keeping animals that have problems, or need alot of attention/extra help.

We (anyone who owns goats) are keeping goats in a controlled setting, outside their natural environment then there have to be some adjustments made...they aren't able to forage over a large range of land when fenced in, aren't able to access natural wormers etc.

I think this is basically true of any livestock. Even the big ranches out in the west that range cattle over 1000's of acres...they do basic medical things, vaccinations etc.

LaRae

Oops forgot to tell you how to do a smiley!

you type a : and then a ) right next to each other...no spaces! [img]smile.gif[/img]

LaRae

a:a)

It didn't work. I told you I was retarded. What now. a:a)

I wasn't clear <G>

type : then ) right next to each other...no 'a'

SV

[img]smile.gif[/img]

AHHHH, now I got it. Thanks

welcome!!!

LaRae

Also if you look to the left of the box you type your reply in you will see a "Instant Graemlins" link. Click it, it will open a small pop up, and you can add any number of cute and perhaps a bit obnoxious, faces.

[img]redface.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] :mad: :confused:

Oh Boy, Bruce, now you are going to get me in trouble. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Photos of kids born 8-16-05
    http://web.utk.edu/~wu4you/My%204%20....htm#kids81605
    they are the last photo.

Pretty girls Michael!

LaRae

Here is another goat site with message board that I find useful. Not much traffic but most questions seem to be answered.

http://goatwisdom.com/

OK...how do I get a doe to "let her milk down"? I think I'm being held out on.

BubbaBob

Good luck Bob....I've never figured out a way to make a doe who is also raising kids let her milk down until after her kids are weaned/sold.

LaRae

The two that I think are holding out on me don't have their kids with them...now what?

BubbaBob

Milk again in 30 minutes.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast