Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Goats

Hillside, She's right, but as she said in the above post, not very specific, Could be many animals. Billy and Nanny is specific to goats.

Besides, I'm old-fashioned, and 50 years ago they were all called Billies and Nannies in my little world called the south. Only after we got electricity, running water, and radio & tv did I hear them called Bucks and Does.

AHA...another possible convert to the goat world!! <G>

Boer goat people (aka meat goats) do often refer to their goats at nannies/billies ...I have no idea why..if it's just cause that's what they hear or what they heard growing up etc.

It's my guess that the shift in terminology is due to public perception of goats and what they mentally associate the words 'billy and nanny' to mean. Goats have gotten a terrible reputation for years now...most of it undeserved.

The American Dairy Goat Association has been around over 100 years now and all the original documents I've seen use the 'buck and doe' terminology...the foundation animals from all of the original breeds (Alpines, Saanens, Toggenburgs and possibly Oberhasli) were imported from Europe. I do chat now and then with European goat breeders and they also use the words 'buck and doe' ....but I have no idea if that's universal or not.

LaRae

"Could be many animals"

You're absolutely correct. If ever I have goats and rabbits at the same time, I'll have to be very careful that I don't get things mixed up and try to milk the wrong doe. <G>
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

Hillside, you'd have to be careful about what you tell the hired help to do as well. "Go put the white buck with the spotted doe." could result in a new species...

BubbaBob

What's the going price for rabbit milk???????

$3.50 per quart

That may seem cheap, but think about how long it takes to milk all those tiny soybean teets. Soy milk is only like $2.50 per half gallon!

The person I bought my does from had aveage does then bred them to an Alchemy Acres buck for two generations and had exceptional milk production. Then he let the herd do whatever for a few generations. The herd Bubbabobs goats are from where started from well known breeders with high dollar goats, then I'm not so sure milk production was that important for a few generations. My point being, bubbabob, LaRae's suggestion of an exceptional buck is a good idea. As I was saying before if you work with those does they should make a good milking herd.

Now why can larae say goat mommy without being edited by admin? I guess she didn't put some ****'s before it.

Hilside, the grocery store goat milk I've had isn't as good, it has had time to get "goaty". The goat yougurt is excellent.

Michael did you by chance accidently mispell dam and type in d-a-m-n like the curse word?

I didn't see the post before it was edited...

LaRae

A goat/hay question and a goat observation...

The question. A cow dairy guy 15 miles from me brings alfalfa hay in from Nebraska in 1800 lb bales (3x3x8, highly compressed). He'll sell it to me for $400/bale. That's about the same as the 40 lb bales I get locally when figured by the pound, but he claims the nebraska alfalfa is much higher quality, running 22% protein. Am I being BS'ed, or is it worth it?

The goat observation...DO NOT SHOW A GOAT AFFECTION BY TRYING TO RUB FORHEADS WITH THEM!!!

This morning, while waiting for one of my milkers to finish her feed so I could get the next up on the milking stand, Chloe (stop laughing...they were already named when I got them) was rubbing against my forarm wanting to have her ears scratched. I stuck my face down at her level, murrmering something like, "Chloe, ya gonna give me lots of milk this morning?", then I was gonna rub forheads with her.

MISTAKE!!! BIG MISTAKE!!! I now know that goats butt heads as play. I realized this about 10 minutes after attempting the above forhead rubbing...10 minutes being how long I was out cold, laying in goat crap, after Chloe decided to "play".

Sundance, you just THINK I'm hard headed...Chloe is the champ around here.

BubbaBob

Very possible for NE hay to be high protein...the best way to verify it is to take a small sample to your local university extension/AG office or state lab and have them run a test....they will give you a total breakdown on the hay.

Uh....first rule of goats, don't pretend you are one! <L>

LaRae

BB, you simply amaze me with how quickly you learn.

Next step, get on all fours and pull weeds in the goat pen. Then report back with how four sharp hooves feel in the center of your back.

I wasn't trying to pretend I was a goat...I was trying to rub, not butt, foreheads, like I've done dogs all my life...I won't do it again though...LOL

On the hay...if it tests out to be that high (22%), is it worth $400 for 1800 lbs?

BubbaBob

iddee...I came in on a turnip truck, but I rode in the cab...

BubbaBob

Hmmmm it sounds kinda high to me....way high actually.

Alfalfa round bales here (don't they weigh 1000 usually?) can be gotten for under 100.00.

Square alfalfa bales hauled in from KS and NE to MO, which will weigh 75 (roughly) pounds, run under well under 10.00 each...and if you buy them by the ton even cheaper.

LaRae

I typed the letter D then typed a * then another * then I used the letter that comes after M and used that to describe a honery "goat mommy" by using the word that LaRae so blatently and wildly uses. Then I was swiftly chastised. [img]smile.gif[/img] Admin removed both words. I suppose using **** charecters to edit what you are really saying isn't acceptable. Take heed Idee!! [img]smile.gif[/img] I've seen some **** coming from your way!

She didn't fight much today, think she's comming around.

Maybe a helmet and neck brace BB? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Heh...well I've never been called blantent and wild before <L>

I think your 'n' was the problem...?

LaRae

You may be right. I'm sort of a newbee here and haven't quite found the limits. If admin. hits me a time or two I will just have to back off till I am within their limits.
    I think, tho, yours was a natural mistake, as I haven't seen anything you have posted that sounded like you were TRYING to be offensive. Also, I notice you have only questioned why, and not badmouthed anyone. I think you, like I, are in a learning curve.

Helmet and neck brace h e double toothpicks...I'm just going to keep my head up in the goat pen from now on...

BubbaBob

Good quality alfalfa has lot's of leaves, rather than stems. Perhaps easier than getting it tested. In Africa we raised our kids on our own goat's milk after they were weened from my wife. We had about 30 when we left to come back to the us. I lost three to two hives of A. m. scutelata. I'll probably tell the story sometime.

I always thought the latin designation for AHB was funny...pronounce it "scoot-a-lotta

BubbaBob

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011