Question

Is there anyone at this site which has set up his/her webserver on thier own PC? I am using windows 2000. I'm using a windows component, IIS to setup the webserver. I am also going through a Linksy's router. I read thru the microsoft help. but it seems as though i'm missint a configuration.

Have you opened port 80 on the Linksys router? You'll need to set up port forwarding for http requests that come to your address and send them to the PC. Normally, the router will discard them.
    Joe<br /><br /><br />\"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell\" -- Confucious

After doing some research I decided to use Linux and Apache for a webserver. Linux is the firewall, so no router is used.

According to logs, people try to gain access to it everyday. It has been running two years without a problem.
    Bruce

When I typ http://localhost into start/run, . At first a log in prompt came up. I then setup a windows user account and then logged in. Now when I try http://localhost I get a web page cannot be displayed page. Does anyone know a website which will tell you how to setup administrative rights for access to your web page.

Does anyone use the IIS (Internet Information Services)plug in that comes with windows 2000? Is there a book like IIS for Dummies? I've been to the microsoft website, I just can't find the info on how to do this from beginning to the end

I actually support Microsoft networking technologies, including web servers, for a living. Perhaps we can arrange a time that is mutually agreeable, and set up a Netmeeting conference. You can share your desktop and I can set it up for you.
    Joe<br /><br /><br />\"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell\" -- Confucious

Joe,

I sent you a private message. I would greatly appreciate your help.

I have my machine set up with Apache for website development. Can anyone connect to my machine even though I haven't registered the IP to a domain name? Can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Yes, MichaelW, anyone can connect to the IP, assuming that neither you nor your ISP have firewalled it. The domain name, if you had one, would function as an alias for the IP.

I must thank The7Cs for his generosity. He led me through the setup of my webserver.

Thanks The7Cs for all your help!

thanks, dmcdonald.
    Then I must learn to firewall and protect my files even though I'm not officially running a public webserver. Crap one more thing.

MIchaelW, it may not be as hard as it sounds, depending on the platform. For example, the firewalling on Mac OS X is very easy to set up--a few clicks. Even on Linux or FreeBSD, it's not too hard, if you don't mind editing text config files. Windows, I know nothing about.

Another approach is to just make the Apache config as secure as you can, watch out for common security risks with server-side coding, and just rely on good luck and the fact (I'm assuming) that you get a new IP address every time you connect to your ISP. If you have a fixed IP and are connected full time, you should be more cautious. But a lot of people aren't firewalled, and they survive. Not running Windows helps a lot, security-wise.

Also, you could go off the network when you do your development work with Apache, then shut down Apache when you're online. But Apache itself, properly configured, isn't much of a risk. It's all those other open ports that could cause trouble. So, you could just close every unneeded port, and that will help a lot.

What platform are you running on?