Thread: temperature

Hybrid View

Hi,
    Have been able to follow topics by keeping handy a rule,tape,calipers and an old sliding metric conversion chart.

I do ok on everything except temperature.The old chart is not real detailed on the temp part.

What i can see is 0degF is -17celsius.This for me is way cold.

When you talk about -20,-30, how cold is this and what is actually happening outside.

I check temp observations for my state all the time,I like to see the summer and winter extremes.
    What do you blokes experience in your summers and winters?
    Thanks,
    Beebloke

The temperature swings here in North Dakota are extreme to say the least.

Here's a handy link to convert temps...... as you aproach very low temps the difference between C and F gets minimal.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/metcon.php

Common lows in winter are -35 F and summer reachs 90 F a few days. Day to day swings can be 50 degrees or more.

In Minnesota (my home turf for 40+ years) the story is simular.

Here, in Eastern Nebraska a typical winter has a couple of weeks of -23 C and occasionally a dip to -30 C. When I was in Laramie WY we had several weeks of -30 C and an occasional dip to -35 C. Once in a great while it gets colder. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Summers usually stay below 38 C here with an rare day up around 41 C. But most of the summer here tends to be more like 29 C or so.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Winter average lowest temperature is -20F/-29C to -25F/-32C. It can get colder.
    I used to work at a Ski Resort making snow and I have done that at -35F/-37.2C air temperature. Things freeze fast at those temps.
    Summer highest average temperature is about 80F/26.7C to 85F/29.4

HI,
    Thanks to Sundance for that link.I made a copy of the temperature conversion table,whith my other bits and pieces i should follow posts a bit better.

The temps you mentioned are awesome.In july i get some nights down to -4 to -6c(24-21f)The frost is gone by 9am,back in shorts.If its clear and sunny gets aruond mid 20's C/mid 70's F.

A 1981 guiness book of records puts Australias coldest day at -22C/-7F.This at a snow resort in 1945.
    A couple of years ago with some mates we camped up the top of the ranges at -11C/12F.This was the coldest any of us had experienced,We still talk about it.Cant wait too show them some temps you blokes get.

Still having trouble getting my head around your lows.Whats going on outside? Do these temps always go with snow

Thanks,
    Beebloke

>Still having trouble getting my head around your lows.Whats going on outside? Do these temps always go with snow

Usually, but not always, when it's really bitter cold (-23 C to -30 C), it's not so windy, but sometimes thats not true and it can be howling. Usually when its bitter cold it does not snow, but sometimes there is alredy snow on the ground. Sometimes there is not. A lot of times (winter or summer, here in Nebraska) we have 50 kph winds for long periods of time and sometimes gusts of 100 kph. I've had whole hives blow over.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It snows regardless of temps. When warmer larger flaked, wet snow. The colder it gets the finer the snow. When its well below 0 F (like -20F) the snow is very powdery and can blow in through cracks you didn't even know you had.

Wind chills of -50 F to -75 F are not uncommon. The wind is really the limiting factor for outside activity. A calm day of -20F is balmy compared to 0 F with a stiff wind.

Hi,
    My low temps are about 3/4am.Wind chill plays its part in the daylight ,but by then it has warmed up.Some days when we have winter westerlies it gets a bit cold.If we are at kids footy we need a coat or a good jumper.Not too often.

I am still amazed by your low temps.I cant see myself being able to cope at these conditions.

We get most of your television shows,I have never been gullible enough to believe every shows setting has a nice comfortable climate.

I showed my mates some of your low temps,they were as amazed as me.Some of you blokes are probably laughing about my very ordinary -11c camping night.We thought we were pretty cool by getting our beer cold by leaving it on the ground

Thanks
    Beebloke

Saying what the climate is like in the US is like stating what the climate is like in Europe. There's just a bit of difference between Minot, North Dakota, Tuscon, Arizona, and Los Angeles California. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In fact the climate in the Panhandle of Nebraska is noticably differnt from Easter Nebraska. Of course Northwestern Nebraska and Southeaster Nebraska are 550 miles apart (885 Kilometers).