Default LEGO Beeyard Project

Hello all, I am newer to the forums, but not to beekeeping (started hobby level when I was 13. I am now 20 and running a commercial operation in Ohio)
    Anyways, I am gathering support for a recent project I was working on and wanted to share it here, since it deals with beehives.

Ever since I was a kid, I have enjoyed Legos and when I was younger I built a beeyard out of Legos for an elderly beekeeper. I can still remember how surprised he was that a kid would think of and build something like that.
    A few weeks ago I was thinking about that time, and realized that an actual Lego apiary would probably be really popular. Lego has made other "farm" sets in the past, but nothing for beekeeping.

There is a great interest and curiosity in beekeeping from the general public and every time I tell someone that I am a beekeeper, they instantly start asking questions and want to know more about bees, hives, and honey.
    I feel that a Lego beeyard will be a great way to spark more curiosity and interest in beekeeping from not only the younger generation, but also the older folks as well.

I found a program called LEGO Ideas which allows people to come up with new Lego set ideas, and post them for people to "vote" on. If the idea gets enough support (10,000 supporters), then the Lego company will review the set for actual production.

I designed and posted this Beeyard Lego set a few days ago, and am just starting to gather support for it: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/92829 I hope that many of you will be willing to take time to "vote" for the project. Its going to be hard to reach 10,000 supporters, even if I get support from the Beekeeping community, so please share this with your family and friends. Emails, facebook, and twitter post can make a huge difference on whether or not the project gets enough support. I would go as far as to suggest that you share it with your bee clubs.

beeforum.jpg
    (click on photo for larger image)

Thank you for reading and please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions for the Lego set (it is not the final version).
    -Garrett

Default Re: LEGO Beeyard Project

Very cool! I will show it to my son in the morning!
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

What a great idea! I just signed up and supported it. Easy Pezy! Well done!

I am 66 years old, and I would certainly give it as a gift! I voted; and I still have legos left - the kids are gone and no granchildren until May, 2015 -- maybe I should build 10,000 brood boxes this weekend!

Cool. I'd buy one for the grandkids. Going to vote. Cool idea. Get involved with the community while you are here.

Good luck.

Nice idea.
    I supported it, easy.

Awesome! I love legos too and if the set is produced, I will definitely buy it.
    Keep you hive tool sharp, your smoker lit, and your veil tight... It's Bee Time- Kim Flottum

Nice! Voted!

Cool idea! I went and supported it for ya! Hope it works out!

I supported your idea!

Supported your idea. Hope it works out

293 supporters and counting! 298 days left. Remember to share this on any bee-related forums you can think of. Ex: Facebook

Come on Beesource! Let's support this project!
    Keep you hive tool sharp, your smoker lit, and your veil tight... It's Bee Time- Kim Flottum

I supported it.

That is very cool. I just think that you should make the smoker gray.