Default Ultra bee is great flying squirrel bait

Flying squirrels are just a pain to trap. They do not go for bait well. I keep getting rid of them and they keep coming back. I must have crawled around the ground and ladder checked every inch of the eves and sills twenty times each and still cannot find where they get in.
    I know from experience they can escape a small have- a- heart trap that looks impossible. The little buggers got in the attic again, this time hitting a bag of ultra bee. Give them what they want. They even go back into the trap a second time to get trapped again. (Failed transfer into a metal 5 gallon paint can.)
    Four in 3 nights relocated 10 miles to the other side of a river into a dilapidated barn. Looking forward to a quiet night.

Default Re: Ultra bee is great flying squirrel bait

I had one as a pet once, awesome pet.... Never had them in an attic. I wish you could send them to me, Kudos for not killing them!
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives /10 Nucs/ 4th Year / T {OAV}

Trapping wildlife for release at another location is illegal in some states, you may want to check.

Actually it is illegal to Poses, transport, or relocate wildlife in the state of Maine. So if you do it. Do not advertise the fact on the internet!

There are wildlife service organizations that can provide relocation.

Well, considering I can shoot and kill a human intruder inside my house, this crime is relatively minor.

One species is protected, too.

The flying squirrels like to chew the oil-based stain off the logs at our cabin. But due to the legal issues I can't trap or kill them. However, what I have done is to put up a screech owl house. We do have screech owls in the vicinity. The owls are not prohibited from killing flying squirrels, and reportedly love them.

Now if I could get them to actually use the owl house ....

If you have a fairly open area and hawks, place the lid to a 5 gallon paint or spackle bucket out in the open. Place cracked corn on lid or your suggested bait, maintain for a few days until the squirrels and then the hawks take note. Co-worker swears this is effective.